Building a PNP Cascode: A Design Exploration

In summary: To convert any NPN circuit into PNP version simply amply this rules:1 - Change transistor type NPN into PNP2 - NPN ground now becomes PNP VCC3 - NPN VCC change to PNP GND (simply reverse the power supply polarity).4 - If necessary reverse electrolytic capacitor polarity
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Hi everyone. I have seen the design for an NPN Cascode many times, but I want to build a PNP Cascode. I have scoured the internet for a standard design, but to no avail.

The image below is that of a NPN Cascode. I want to create a PNP cascode by flipping things around. I have placed a red line through the circuitry. On the left side of the red line I expect nothing to change when building the PNP Cascode. On the right side of the red line is where I expect things to change.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 10.58.45 AM.png

Here is what I am thinking:

1. I will turn transistors ##Q_1## and ##Q_2## into PNP transistors.

2. In the emitter of ##Q_2## there will be no resistor, only the power supply connection ##V_{CC}##.

3. Between the collector of ##Q_2## and the emitter of ##Q_1##, I will place ##R_C## just before the loading circuit. Then I will place the loading circuit.

4. Just after the loading circuit, I will place ##R_{E1}##, ##R_{E2}## and ##C_E##.

5. The collector of ##Q_1## will then be wired to ground.

Does this sound reasonable?

If not, does anyone know what the standard design would look like and could show me?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I took the time to make a quick blackboard sketch of what I thought it looks like:

IMG_0963.JPG

Seem reasonable?

Your PNP version is wrong, and will not work. The Cascode is CE stage + CB stage.
The correct circuit look like this

Attachments

• M.png
    M.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 722
Likes berkeman and STEMucator
Jony130 said:
Your PNP version is wrong, and will not work. The Cascode is CE stage + CB stage.
The correct circuit look like this

It was just hitting me and I came back and saw your post.

I drew this:

https://gyazo.com/d3cfd6526d94f4ce09a6ab1885debf01

It looks pretty much like yours, except the capacitor ##C_E## should be grounded.

Zondrina said:
Almost right. R3 resistor must be connected to VCC and R1 to GND.
To convert any NPN circuit into PNP version simply amply this rules:
1 - Change transistor type NPN into PNP
2 - NPN ground now becomes PNP VCC
3 - NPN VCC change to PNP GND (simply reverse the power supply polarity).
4 - If necessary reverse electrolytic capacitor polarity
It looks pretty much like yours, except the capacitor ##C_E## should be grounded.
But this change is not necessary (Vcc is also a good place).

Last edited:

1. What is a PNP cascode and why is it important in circuit design?

A PNP cascode is a type of circuit configuration where two transistors, one PNP and one NPN, are connected in series. This arrangement can improve the performance of a circuit by increasing gain, reducing distortion, and improving stability.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a PNP cascode?

When designing a PNP cascode, factors such as the type and characteristics of the transistors, the desired gain and bandwidth, the power supply voltage, and the operating temperature should be carefully considered. These factors can impact the performance and stability of the circuit.

3. How do you choose the right transistors for a PNP cascode?

The choice of transistors for a PNP cascode depends on the specific application and desired performance. Generally, transistors with a high gain and low noise are preferred. It is also important to choose transistors with complementary characteristics to ensure proper operation.

4. Can a PNP cascode be used in different types of circuits?

Yes, a PNP cascode can be used in a variety of circuits, including amplifiers, filters, and voltage regulators. It is a versatile circuit configuration that can improve the performance of many types of circuits.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a PNP cascode?

Like any circuit design, there are potential drawbacks to using a PNP cascode. These can include increased complexity, higher cost due to the use of two transistors, and potential stability issues if not designed properly. It is important to carefully consider these factors and weigh them against the potential benefits before using a PNP cascode in a circuit.