Bullet Projectile motion Problem

In summary, Today I had a question from a student about the independent nature of horizontal and vertical components of motion, which we were discussing through shooting a dart gun. We concluded that the horizontal velocity component of a moving body remains constant without air resistance. The student then asked if shooting something at point blank range would do more damage than from far away, to which I initially thought it should be the same. However, the impact velocity may vary depending on air resistance and vertical velocity, though the latter is usually negligible compared to the former. With air resistance, the bullet that covers a longer distance would have a lower impact velocity.
david-scott
Today I had a question from a student that made me think. Maybe I am just over thinking this.

We were discussing the independent nature of horizontal and vertical components of motion. This was done through shooting a dart gun. We came to the conclusion that (without air resistance) the horizontal velocity component of a moving body remains constant.

A student then asked the following question:
"If you shoot something at point blank range, would it do more damage than shot from far away?"

I was puzzled for a moment, but my gut thinks that it should be the same. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
well if more damage means higher impact velocity then it depends on the air resistance and the vertical velocity. But the vertical velocity would be almost negligible compared to the horizontal velocity.

So...if shot from a completely horizontal position and no air resistance...it would be the same.

With air resistance the bullet that covers a longer distance would have less effect/velocity/impact

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and is subject to the force of gravity. This results in a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a bullet?

The trajectory of a bullet is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. The mass and shape of the bullet can also play a role.

3. How is the range of a bullet calculated?

The range of a bullet can be calculated using the equation: R = (V² sin 2θ) / g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion is when an object is launched horizontally and only affected by gravity, resulting in a curved path. Vertical projectile motion is when an object is launched vertically and affected by both gravity and air resistance, resulting in a more complex path.

5. How can projectile motion be applied in real life?

Projectile motion is commonly used in sports, such as in the trajectory of a baseball or golf ball. It is also used in military applications, such as the trajectory of a missile. Understanding projectile motion can also help in predicting the path of falling objects, such as a dropped ball or a thrown object.