Calculating Volume & Buoyant Force: A Spring Scale Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where the weight of three objects was measured both dry and submerged in water. The difference in weight between the two measurements can be used to determine the volume of the objects. The formula for buoyant force is also mentioned, which can be used to calculate the volume of the fluid displaced. The conversation also brings up the concept of density and how it can be calculated using the weight difference and volume of the object. It is noted that two of the objects have the same figures for both dry and submerged measurements. The reason for this difference is not provided.
GreenEyedGal3
I did an experiment where i measured the weight (in Newtons) of three objects on a spring scale. Then, i measured the weight (in Newtons) of the three objects on a spring scale while the objects were submerged underwater. How would i calculate the volume and buoyant force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

May we assume you weighed each of three objects dry (out of water) and wet (submerged)? Is there a difference? If so, what is the reason for the difference.

When measuring submerged, did one measure the change in water level or volume?

Does one know the density of the objects?

Yes i measured the objects both dry and wet. Object one was 2.00 Newtons dry and 1.75 Newtons wet. Objects two was .57 Newtons dry and .45 Newtons wet. Object three was 2.00 Newtons dry and 1.75 Newtons wet.

I do not know the density of any of the objects.

I figured out the buoyant force is the difference in the weight of the objects from dry to wet. I also figured out the volume of the objects by using the formula Buoyant force = Density of the fluid times the volume of the fluid times the acceleration due to gravity.

How would i start to calculate weight density and mass density of the three objects?

The water that an object displaces is equal to the buoyancy force of that mass. So the weight difference can be used to determine the volume. For example the weight difference for the first object was 0.25 Newtons. 0.25 Newtons is 25.5 grams of water displaced or since the density of water is 1 gram per cc then that means you displace 25.5 cc of water. So object one's density is 2N/.0255L or 78.4 Newtons/ liter or 8 Kg/L. Did you know that you used the same figures for items one and three?

1. How do you calculate volume using a spring scale experiment?

In order to calculate volume using a spring scale experiment, you will need to first measure the weight of the object you are testing with the spring scale. Then, you will need to submerge the object in a container of water and measure the change in weight. The difference between the two weights is equal to the buoyant force, which can be used to calculate the volume of the object using the formula V = Fb/ρg, where V is volume, Fb is buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the purpose of using a spring scale in this experiment?

A spring scale is used in this experiment to measure the weight of the object being tested. By measuring the change in weight when the object is submerged in water, the buoyant force can be determined, which is necessary for calculating the volume of the object.

3. Can this experiment be used to calculate the volume of any object?

Yes, this experiment can be used to calculate the volume of any object, as long as the weight of the object can be measured accurately and the object can be submerged in water. This method is commonly used in industries such as shipping and manufacturing to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect the calculation of volume and buoyant force?

The density of the fluid plays a crucial role in calculating volume and buoyant force. The formula for calculating volume (V = Fb/ρg) shows that as the density of the fluid increases, the volume of the object will decrease. Similarly, the buoyant force will also increase as the density of the fluid increases.

5. Can this experiment be used to determine the density of an object?

This experiment can be used to indirectly determine the density of an object by calculating its volume and knowing its weight. However, it is not a direct method for determining density as there may be other factors that affect the weight of the object, such as air bubbles trapped in the object. Other methods, such as displacement, are more accurate for determining density.