Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ nan help

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    hi there,

i have written a small program in C++ and if the user puts in the wrong values for some of the variables the operation will end up trying to square root a negative number and this returns that the answer is not a number

can anyone show me how to write an if function that if
    Code (Text):
    double answerplus
    or
    Code (Text):
    double answerminus
    are not numbers it will display an error message

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you're looking for isnan. But it's been a while since I looked at that part of the C library.

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    c++ is a strongly typed language, so if you input a double, it is only going to assign a floating point value to the input variable.

According to the C++ reference library:

If the argument is negative, a domain error occurs, setting the global variable errno to the value EDOM.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cmath/sqrt/

So you check that value after processing each square root in your function to ensure that the sqrt() function returned a number, either that or you could check the value before invoking the sqrt() function.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Feb 28, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or you could call sqrt() in a try : catch{} block - sqrt will throw an exception with a negative number

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook