Integral of sqrt(x-1)/sqrt(x): Solving Homework Equations

• Thread starter poopforfood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the integral of sqrt(x-1)/sqrt(x) can be solved by using the u-substitution method and letting u = sqrt(x-1). The process involves rewriting the integral, using the power rule for integration, and substituting back in the original variable. Other methods such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution can also be used, but the u-substitution method is the most straightforward and efficient for this particular integral. Knowledge of basic integration techniques is also helpful.
poopforfood

Homework Statement

Integral of sqrt(x-1)/sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to sub x = sinh2 so you get sqrt(1-sinh2)/sqrt(sinh2)
I forget what to do after this

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not totally sure that [tex] x = \sinh^2(u)[/tex] will help you in this case since then [tex] x-1 = cosh^2(x)-2[/tex]. Trying [tex] x= cosh^2(u) [/tex] should lead to better results.

What is the integral of sqrt(x-1)/sqrt(x)?

The integral of sqrt(x-1)/sqrt(x) is equal to 2*sqrt(x-1) + C, where C is a constant of integration. This can be found by using the u-substitution method and letting u = sqrt(x-1).

What is the process for solving this integral?

The process for solving this integral involves the use of u-substitution. First, let u = sqrt(x-1). Then, rewrite the integral as 2*u/sqrt(x). Next, use the power rule to integrate, giving us 2*u^(3/2)/3 + C. Finally, substitute back in the original variable, giving us the final answer of 2*sqrt(x-1) + C.

Do I need to know any specific formulas or techniques for this integral?

Yes, for this integral you will need to know the u-substitution method and the power rule for integration. It is also helpful to have knowledge of basic integration techniques such as integration by parts and trigonometric substitution.

Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using integration by parts or trigonometric substitution. However, the u-substitution method is the most straightforward and efficient way to solve this particular integral.

Can you provide an example of solving this integral step-by-step?

Sure, let's say we want to find the integral of sqrt(x-1)/sqrt(x). First, let u = sqrt(x-1). Then, the integral becomes 2*u/sqrt(x). Next, we use the power rule to integrate, giving us 2*u^(3/2)/3 + C. Finally, we substitute back in the original variable, giving us the final answer of 2*sqrt(x-1) + C.