Calc + applications in physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cable weighing 2lb/foot and being used to lift 800lb of coal up a mineshaft 500ft deep. The goal is to find the work required for this task. Different methods of solving the problem are proposed and discussed, such as using the formula W=Fd and setting up integrals. Eventually, the correct method is determined and the correct answer of 650,000 ft-lbs is found.
ecoli
I think I found a way to do this, but it's not working.

The problem gives a cable weighing 2lb/fot, that is used to lift 800 lb of coal up a mineshaft 500ft deep. find the work

I looked up the answer, which 650,000 ft-lbs. The weight is the force, so there is no need for the acceleration due to gravity. I tried something that I thought was right, but it didn't yield the correct answer. Am I not integrating correctly or is my set-up wrong?

[tex] \int_{0 ft}^{500 ft} (800lbs + 2x) x\ dx [/tex]

I distributed the x and integrated, ending up with [tex] ({800/2})x^2 + ({2/3})x^3 [/tex] from 0 to 500.

That doesn't come up with the rgith answer, though. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ecoli, are you continuing a thread here that you started at SFN? Because if you are, I don't think that anyone except me is going to be able to follow you!

you're right, I forgot to copy the first part of the message... namely the problem. I'm an idiot... sorry guys.

I couldn't tell from your previous post if you already have an answer, but here's how I would set it up:

The 800 is constant from the bottom to the top, only the 2x will change. You can write it out as:

[tex]W=800*500+\int_{0}^{500}2x\,dx[/tex]

Do you see why?

Alex

Where did you get the 500 from... because won't that change when you pull the cable upwards?

The book gives the answer as 650,000 ft-lbs, so I'm not sure your answer is right...

ecoli said:
Where did you get the 500 from... because won't that change when you pull the cable upwards?
Remember for a constant force, the work is W=Fd. You can split the work up into the work for the coal (constant weight=constant force) + work for the cable. The force on the cable is the only thing that changes.

Alex

ecoli said:
you're right, I forgot to copy the first part of the message... namely the problem. I'm an idiot... sorry guys.

:rofl: No problem.

ecoli said:
[tex] \int_{0 ft}^{500 ft} (800lbs + 2x) x\ dx [/tex]

You've got 1 major problem that is screwing the entire thing up, and that is that you don't seem to really get the definition of work.

It is (for 1D forces and displacements):

[tex]W=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}Fdx[/tex]

Now, your integral seems to be taking the definition as:

[tex]W=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}Fxdx[/tex]

which is not the same thing. So, drop that extra "x" in the integrand, and you'll be fine.

the weight of the cable changes. I understand that is equal to the force.

I see why your answer is correct, but it's not the same answer the book gives... unless I'm integrating incorrectly.

If you follow the advice of either apmcavoy or myself, you will get the correct answer of 650,000 ft-lbs.

I am following your advice, I must be integrating incorrectly. That's making the answer come out wrong, so I thought it was the setup that was wrong. Of course that's not the case.

Want to post your steps and have us check them?

ok, thanks.

first off, I have
Fd = (800 + 2x)
[tex] \int_{0}^{500} 800 + 2x dx [/tex]

then I pull out the 800 and get [tex] 800 \int_{0}^{500} 2x\ dx [/tex]

I integrate and get [tex] 800 * x^2 [/tex] from 0 to 500

which is 200 million, and not the correct answer

ecoli said:
ok, thanks.

first off, I have
Fd = (800 + 2x)

I integrate and get [tex] 800 * x^2 [/tex] from 0 to 500

which is 200 million, and not the correct answer
There's your problem, you pulled out the 800! Remember this?

[tex]\int\left(f(x)+g(x)\right)\,dx=\int f(x)\,dx+\int g(x)\,dx[/tex]

Alex

ecoli said:
Fd = (800 + 2x)

Right.

Wrong.

You're pulling out the 800 as if it were a factor of the integrand. It's not, it's a term of the integrand. So the correct way to split it up would be:

[tex] \int_0^{500} (800 + 2x) dx = \int_0^{500} 800 dx + \int_0^{500} 2x dx[/tex]

Now, you can pull 800 out of the first integral and 2 out of the second.

ahhh... thanks guys, all clear now.

What is calculus and how is it used in physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. In physics, calculus is used to understand and analyze the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to calculate rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, and also helps us to determine maximum and minimum values of physical quantities.

What are the main applications of calculus in physics?

Calculus has numerous applications in physics, including the study of motion, forces, energy, and waves. It is also used in fields such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Without calculus, many important physical laws and equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics, would not be possible.

How does calculus help in solving physics problems?

Calculus provides us with a powerful set of tools for solving complex physics problems. It allows us to break down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and then use techniques such as differentiation and integration to find solutions. These techniques help us to analyze the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

What are some real-world examples of calculus in physics?

There are countless examples of calculus being applied in physics. For instance, in projectile motion, calculus is used to determine the trajectory of a projectile. In fluid mechanics, it is used to study the flow of fluids, such as air and water. In electromagnetism, calculus is used to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. These are just a few of the many real-world applications of calculus in physics.

How important is calculus in understanding advanced concepts in physics?

Calculus is essential for understanding advanced concepts in physics. Many of the fundamental principles and laws in physics are based on calculus, so without a solid understanding of calculus, it would be difficult to fully comprehend these concepts. Additionally, calculus is used extensively in higher level physics courses and research, making it a crucial tool for any scientist studying the physical world.