What is the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal clothesline tied between two poles, 12 meters apart. When a 2 kg mass is tied to the middle of the clothesline, it sags 5 meters. Using the equations F=mg and g=9.8 m/s^2, the tension on the ends of the clothesline can be calculated. The resulting equations for T1 and T2 are equal in magnitude, with T1 = (-11.76)i + (9.8)j and T2 = (11.76)i + (9.8)j. The magnitude of either vector can be calculated to determine the tension at the ends of the clothesline, which is found to be 15.3
undrcvrbro

Homework Statement

A horizontal clothesline is tied between 2 poles, 12 meters apart.
When a mass of 2 kilograms is tied to the middle of the clothesline, it sags a distance of 5 meters.

What is the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

Homework Equations

F=mg
g=9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the two ends of the rope have the same vertical direction but opposite horizontal direction:

T1 = (-a)i + (b)j
T2 = (a)i + (b)j

Using similar triangles:

b/a = (5m) / (6m) => a = (6/5)b

Solving for the weight of the 2 kg mass:

F = (2 kg) * (9.8 m/s^2) = 19.6 N

T1 + T2 = -w

( (-a)i + (b)j ) + ( (a)i + (b)j ) = 19.6 j

substituting (6/5)b for a and simplifying:

( (-6/5b)i + (b)j ) + ( (6/5b)i + (b)j ) = 19.6 j

(2b)j = 19.6j
b = 9.8

a = (6/5)b = (6/5)*(9.8) = 11.76

T1 = (-a)i + (b)j = (-11.76)i + (9.8)j
T2 = (a)i + (b)j = (11.76)I + (9.8)j

So I have that much. But my only issue is that this is an online problem and it only has one spot for an entry. From what I can tell, he wants the final answer to be a numerical one in Newtons.

Did I do a whole bunch of unnecessary math, or is my answer hidden somewhere in my work(i.e. I'm just not completely understanding the conceptual side of the math I'm doing)?

Besides, as I said, there is only one entry area. So I'm assuming he only wants one answer. So that would mean the Tension on each end of the line is equal. Is that true in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
It asks for the magnitude (ie. the length of the vector) of the tension at the ends of the clothesline. The magnitude of (-11.76)i + (9.8)j is certainly equal to the magnitude of (11.76)i + (9.8)j.

nicksauce said:
It asks for the magnitude (ie. the length of the vector) of the tension at the ends of the clothesline. The magnitude of (-11.76)i + (9.8)j is certainly equal to the magnitude of (11.76)i + (9.8)j.

First of all, thanks for responding!

Wait, so should I just calculate the magnitude of either vector? So for instance, if I were to use T1...

abs(T1) = [tex]\sqrt{(-11.76^2) + (9.8^2)}[/tex]

So T1= 15.3

Edit: I just submitted my answer using that method and it's correct. Thanks again.

Last edited:

What is Calc III Vector problem all about?

Calc III Vector problem is a branch of calculus that deals with the study of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves solving problems related to vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, as well as vector calculus, which includes topics like gradient, divergence, and curl.

What are some common applications of Calc III Vector problem in real life?

Calc III Vector problem has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some common examples include analyzing forces and motion in physics, designing structures in engineering, and creating 3D graphics in video games.

What are the key concepts that one needs to understand in order to solve Calc III Vector problems?

Some key concepts that are essential for solving Calc III Vector problems include vector operations, such as dot product and cross product, vector functions and their derivatives, and line and surface integrals. It is also important to have a good understanding of coordinate systems, such as Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Calc III Vector problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Calc III Vector problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different techniques and methods used to solve these problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques.

Are there any helpful resources available for studying Calc III Vector problems?

Yes, there are many helpful resources available for studying Calc III Vector problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and practice problems with solutions. You can also find study guides and practice exams to help you prepare for tests or exams.