Calculate attractive force between Cu2+ and O2- ions.

• Thread starter robertjordan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Ions
In summary, to calculate the attractive force between a pair of Cu2+ and O2- ions in the ceramic CuO with an interatomic separation of 200pm, you can use Coulomb's law and plug in the charges of the ions (2 and -2 times the charge of an electron) to get a force of 2.307*10^-8 N.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

Calculate the attractive force between a pair of Cu2+ and O2- ions in the ceramic CuO that has an interatomic separation of 200pm.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_A= -\frac{(z_1\cdot e)(z_2\cdot e)}{4\pi\cdot\epsilon_o\cdot r}[/itex]
Where z_1 and z_2 are the valences of the two ion types, e is the charge of an electron (1.602 * 10^-19 C), epsilon_o is the permittivity of a vacuum (8.85*10^-12 F/m), and r is the distance between the two ions.

[itex]E_n=\frac{m\cdot e^4 \cdot z^2}{2n^2 \cdot \hbar^2}[/itex]
Where m= mass of electron, z= atomic number, e= charge of an electron, n is the energy level.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I don't know how to find z_1 and z_2. Do I use [itex]E_n=\frac{m\cdot e^4 \cdot z^2}{2n^2 \cdot \hbar^2}[/itex] to find the energy in the valence electrons? The problem is that I don't know how to use that equation because when I plug in what I think I should for the variables it gives me an answer with units all wrong... Here's an example from another problem where I tried to use that equation...

plugging in 1 for n, 3 for z, 9.11*10^-31 kg for m, -1.602*10^-19 Coulombs for e, and 1.054572×10^-34 J*s for h, we get
E_1= ((9.11*10^-31 kg))*((-1.602*10^-19 C)^4)*(3^2)/(2(1.054572×10^-34 J s)^2) = 2.428×10^-37 s^6A^4/(kg m^4) (second to the 6 amperes to the fourth per kilogram meter to the fourth).

So what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you writing these formulas for energies?
The problem asks to calculate the attractive force.
The charges of each ion are given in the problem.

nasu said:
Why are you writing these formulas for energies?
The problem asks to calculate the attractive force.
The charges of each ion are given in the problem.

Well I don't know the force equation, my teacher only gave us the equation for bonding energy...
Perhaps since energy=force*distance we can find force by dividing our energy equation by some distance?

I'm still stuck but I see now that z_1= 2 and z_2=-2.

Any more help?

nasu said:
See Coulomb's law. For example, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

What class is this? Chemistry?

The equation F= ke(|q1q2|)/r2 looks good.

So if I plug in 3.204 × 10^-19 coulombs for q1 and -3.204 × 10^-19 coulombs for q2 (because O2- has a net charge equal to -2 times the charge of an electron and Cu2+ has a net charge equal to twice the charge of an electron), then I get

2.307*10-8 N of force. Does that seem right?

Yes, it looks OK.

1. What is the formula for calculating the attractive force between Cu2+ and O2- ions?

The formula for calculating the attractive force between two ions is called Coulomb's Law, which states that the force of attraction between two ions is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In this case, the formula would be F = (k * q1 * q2) / d2, where k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the ions, and d is the distance between them.

2. How do you determine the charges of the Cu2+ and O2- ions?

The charges of ions can be determined by their position on the periodic table. Cu2+ is a transition metal and has a charge of +2, while O2- is a nonmetal and has a charge of -2. These charges are based on the number of electrons each ion has gained or lost in order to achieve a stable electron configuration.

3. What is the value of the constant in Coulomb's Law and why is it important?

The constant in Coulomb's Law is represented by the letter k and has a value of 8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2. This constant is important because it takes into account the permittivity of free space, which is the ability of a vacuum to support an electric field. It also ensures that the units of force are in Newtons, which is the standard unit for measuring force.

4. Does the distance between the Cu2+ and O2- ions affect the attractive force between them?

Yes, according to Coulomb's Law, the force of attraction between two ions is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the Cu2+ and O2- ions increases, the force of attraction between them decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force of attraction increases.

5. How can the attractive force between Cu2+ and O2- ions be used in real-life applications?

The attractive force between ions is the basis for many important chemical reactions and processes in everyday life. For example, the attractive force between Cu2+ and O2- ions is what holds together the compound copper oxide, which is used in electrical wiring and other electronic devices. This force is also responsible for the formation of ionic compounds, such as table salt, which is used in cooking and food preservation.