Calculate CheckSum: Solve w/o Calculator

• Thread starter trollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary: Therefore, I would stick with your method.In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods of calculating checksum for a set of bytes. While both methods work, the solutions method involves a different way of carrying, which may result in a different answer. It is suggested to use the method that earns the highest score with the least amount of argument, and in this case, the method of representing the carry using a single decimal value is recommended.
trollcast
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate the checksum for the following 3 bytes, showing all working without the use of a calculator:

##\displaystyle 01101101 ##
##\displaystyle 00100111 ##
##\displaystyle 00101101 ##
##\displaystyle \text{------------}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting the correct answer but my carries are different to the solutions so I'd only 1 mark out of 3:

My answer [I'm putting the carries below the answer line in decimal so you can see them easier]:

##\displaystyle 11000001##
##\displaystyle 1212211##

The solutions answer:

##\displaystyle 11000001##
##\displaystyle 1012011##

Physics news on Phys.org
There are multiple implementations for checksum. You need to specify what checksum means for this problem.

rcgldr said:
There are multiple implementations for checksum. You need to specify what checksum means for this problem.

Checksum is simply the sum of all the bytes with any overflow ignored so the checksum is the same size as the original bytes.

It looks like the solution's method uses a different way of carrying. For example, if the sum for column N equals 4, rather than carrying a 2 to the N+1 column, a 1 is carried to the N+2 column. Both your method and the solution's method work. Now go and grub for those extra marks!

lewando said:
It looks like the solution's method uses a different way of carrying. For example, if the sum for column N equals 4, rather than carrying a 2 to the N+1 column, a 1 is carried to the N+2 column. Both your method and the solution's method work. Now go and grub for those extra marks!

That makes sense now.

Is that method more correct or should either be acceptable?

Use the one that earns you the highest score with the least amount of argument, I suppose. If you were to add a much larger set of bytes, your method of representing the carry using a single decimal value seems quicker and less error prone.

Related to Calculate CheckSum: Solve w/o Calculator

What is CheckSum?

CheckSum is a method used to verify the integrity of data. It is commonly used in computer science and engineering to ensure that data has not been tampered with or corrupted during transmission or storage.

How do you calculate CheckSum?

There are several different algorithms used to calculate CheckSum, depending on the type of data being checked. However, a common method is to add all the values in the data together and then take the remainder of that sum when divided by a specific number. This remainder is the CheckSum value.

Why is it important to solve CheckSum without a calculator?

Calculating CheckSum without a calculator is important because it allows for quick and efficient verification of data. In many cases, a calculator may not be readily available or practical to use, so being able to solve CheckSum without one is necessary.

What are the benefits of using CheckSum?

Using CheckSum ensures data integrity and helps prevent errors or discrepancies in data. It is also a quick and efficient way to verify data without needing to compare every single value.

Can CheckSum be used for any type of data?

CheckSum can be used for any type of data, including numbers, text, and binary code. However, different algorithms may be used for different types of data to ensure accurate results.