Calculate Coulombs Law: Charge, Current, and Power in Electrical Circuits

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
ydna7
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Q1. A charge of 4000μC passes each point in a wire in 50s
Calculate: a) the charge in coulombs
b) The current in the wire
c) The number of electrons per second passing each point in the wire (Electron charge = 1.6 * 10^-19 C)
Q.2 A 240V kettle transfers 6.9*10^5 joules of energy in 5 minutes. What is the current in the kettle?
Q.3 When hot an electric bar fire has resistance of 50ohms. When connected to the mains supply (240V) what is its power?


Really struggling with this..
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you can find these in your book:
current=charge/time
charge=(#electrons)(electron charge)
power=(current)(voltage)
power=work/time
 
bobaustin said:
I'm sure you can find these in your book:
current=charge/time
charge=(#electrons)(electron charge)
power=(current)(voltage)
power=work/time

I have been away a lot lately and have fallen behind a bit..
so a) = 4000/50=80 coulombs?
b) (#electorons=?)(4000)=??
c)
 
a) doesn't make sense. Charge where? Is this part of a bigger question?