Calculate DN for 25 m/s Fire Hose Flow

In summary, the conversation is about finding the diameter dn of a nozzle contraction in order to achieve a desired exit velocity of 25 m/s for a fire hose with an inner diameter of 5 inches and a water flow rate of 600 gal/min. The question of whether the given inlet diameter is necessary is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is not needed since the volume flow rates at the inlet and exit must be equal. The conversation also touches on converting gal/min to A*V and the purpose of finding the velocity of inflow when the velocity of the outflow is given.
Saladsamurai
Doing some review here:

Homework Statement

A fire hose has an inner diameter of 5 inches and water is flowing at 600 gal/min. The flow exits through a nozzle contraction with
diameter dn. For steady flow, what should dn be in inches in order for the exit velocity to be 25 m/s.

My only question here is really do I even need the given inlet diameter = 5 in ?

As far as I can see. Since density is constant, the volume flow rates at inlet and exit should be equal. That is,

[tex]Q_1=Q_2[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow Q_1 = \frac{500\,\text{gal}}{\text{min}} = A_2V_2[/tex]

[tex](\frac{\pi}{4}d_n^2)V_2=\frac{500\,\text{gal}}{\text{min}}[/tex]

Now assuming I convert my units properly, this should be correct? It's just that given inlet diameter that's bugging me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you convert gal/min to A*V?

rl.bhat said:
Can you convert gal/min to A*V?

I would have to say yes.

[tex]\frac{gal}{min}\equiv\frac{Volume}{time}[/tex]

[tex]Area*V\equiv\frac{dx}{dt}*A\equiv\frac{Volume}{time}[/tex]

Inner diameter is given. Find the velocity of inflow. Velocity of the outflow is given. Find dn

I am sorry rl, I still do not see what I am supposed to use the inner diameter for. I thought that we just said.

Q1=Q2=A2V2

I am given Q1, why should I bother finding V1?

Yes. You are right.

Okay. Thank you. :smile:

Related to Calculate DN for 25 m/s Fire Hose Flow

1. How do you calculate DN for 25 m/s fire hose flow?

To calculate DN (nominal diameter) for a 25 m/s fire hose flow, you will need to use the following formula:
DN = (25 x Q / V)^0.5
Where Q is the flow rate in liters per second (L/s) and V is the velocity in meters per second (m/s). This formula is based on the Manning-Strickler equation for determining the diameter of a round pipe that will carry a given flow at a specific velocity.

2. What is the significance of calculating DN for fire hose flow?

Calculating DN for fire hose flow is important for ensuring that the fire hose is the appropriate size for the required flow rate and velocity. It helps to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the fire hose in delivering water to extinguish a fire.

3. What are the units of measurement for DN, Q, and V in the calculation?

DN is measured in millimeters (mm), Q is measured in liters per second (L/s), and V is measured in meters per second (m/s). These units are commonly used in hydraulic engineering and fluid dynamics calculations.

4. Can the same formula be used for different flow rates and velocities?

Yes, the same formula can be used for different flow rates and velocities. However, the values for Q and V will vary depending on the specific situation. It is important to use accurate and appropriate values for Q and V in the formula to get an accurate result for DN.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating DN for fire hose flow?

Yes, there are other factors that may need to be taken into account when calculating DN for fire hose flow. These include the type and condition of the fire hose, the terrain and elevation of the area, and any obstructions or bends in the hose that may affect the flow and velocity. It is important to consider all of these factors to ensure the fire hose is properly sized for the specific situation.