Calculate fluid flow in pipeline

In summary, the pump in the system below has an efficiency of 75%. The atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa and the vapor pressure is 2.3 kPa (in absolute units). Assume kinematic viscosity is 0.96x10-6 m2/s. The velocity through the main pipe and of the jet are 9.66 m/s and 38.64 m/s, respectively.
menco

Homework Statement

The pump in the system below has an efficiency of 75%. The atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa and the vapor pressure is 2.3 kPa (in absolute units). Assume kinematic viscosity is 0.96x10-6 m2/s. Neglect minor losses.

a) Calculate the velocity through the main pipe and of the jet

and a few other questions to do with friction factor, etc.

picture.png

Homework Equations

AV=AV

v^2/2g + P/pg = v^2/2g + P/pg

Have been given the answers but no working. – 9.66 m/s for pipe and 38.64 m/s for jet

The Attempt at a Solution

First used AV=AV to get

v_2 = [(d_1)^2/(d_2)^2] v_1

Then I put this into Bernoulli with the relevant pressures P_1 = 700000, P_2 = 101000 but I only manage to get v_1 = 8.94 m/s.

I have tried working it with elevation head but still can't seem to get the right answer. I am thinking maybe I should have pump head? But not too sure how to calculate with what I have been given.

Physics news on Phys.org
My immediate thought is that 700kPa is a gauge pressure.
The 20m head provides pressure at the other end of the pipe - which should tell you what the pump is doing.

It may help if you think of the pump as replacing a drop in height.

You mentioned in your original post the "friction factor", and one of the pieces of data given was the kinematic viscosity. Where were these in your calculations? That pipe is only 2" in diameter, and is 400 meters long. Do you really think that the Bernoulli equation is going to give you an accurate prediction for this problem? What have you left out?

Chet

Simon Bridge said:
My immediate thought is that 700kPa is a gauge pressure.
The 20m head provides pressure at the other end of the pipe - which should tell you what the pump is doing.

It may help if you think of the pump as replacing a drop in height.

Thanks that helped get it sorted, changed my P_2 value and found the right answer

Chestermiller said:
You mentioned in your original post the "friction factor", and one of the pieces of data given was the kinematic viscosity. Where were these in your calculations? That pipe is only 2" in diameter, and is 400 meters long. Do you really think that the Bernoulli equation is going to give you an accurate prediction for this problem? What have you left out?

Chet

They are parts b,c,d when they want the friction factor, pump power and distance from reservoir to avoid cavitation. I can't seem to solve the NPSM but will keep trying.

Yes. I looked over the problem again, and Simon was right regarding the gage pressure (as your answer confirms). You next need to calculate the Reynolds number for the flow in the pipe. This will then allow you to determine the friction factor.

chet

Related to Calculate fluid flow in pipeline

1. How do you calculate the fluid flow rate in a pipeline?

The fluid flow rate in a pipeline can be calculated using the equation Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate in cubic feet per second (cfs), A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in square feet, and V is the velocity of the fluid in feet per second.

2. What factors affect the fluid flow rate in a pipeline?

The fluid flow rate in a pipeline can be affected by various factors such as the diameter and length of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure and temperature of the system, and the presence of any obstacles or bends in the pipeline.

3. How do you calculate the pressure drop in a pipeline?

The pressure drop in a pipeline can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as the pipe roughness, fluid velocity, and pipe length. Alternatively, the Hazen-Williams formula can also be used for simpler calculations.

4. What units are typically used to measure fluid flow in a pipeline?

The most common units used for measuring fluid flow in a pipeline are cubic feet per second (cfs) or cubic meters per second (cms). Other units such as gallons per minute (gpm) or liters per hour (lph) may also be used depending on the system and application.

5. How can I ensure accurate calculations for fluid flow in a pipeline?

To ensure accurate calculations for fluid flow in a pipeline, it is important to have precise and up-to-date information about the system, such as the pipe dimensions, fluid properties, and operating conditions. It is also recommended to use validated equations and perform multiple calculations to confirm the results.