Calculate force of friction using tension & angles

In summary, a 60 kg crate is being dragged along the floor by a rope at a 70 degree angle with the horizontal. The tension in the rope is 20N. The force of friction can be calculated by subtracting the tension multiplied by the sine of 70 degrees from the weight of the crate. The coefficient of friction cannot be determined without more information.
bhangu23

Homework Statement

A 60 kg crate is being steadily dragged along the floor by a rope, which makes an angle of 70 degress with the horizontal. If the tension in the rope is 20N:
What is the force of friction?
What is the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

ffr=Ufn
ffr=Umgcos0

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that
fg=mg
= 60(9.8)
=588N

and
Fn= fgcos70
=588cos70
=201N

i don't knwo what to do from there

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I'm not sure why your normal force is Fg*cos(70). From my diagram, I get the force of friction |Ff| = |Fg| - |T|sin(70) where T is the tension.

1. What is the equation for calculating force of friction using tension and angles?

The equation for calculating force of friction using tension and angles is: Ff = μ * T * cos(θ), where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, T is the tension in the rope, and θ is the angle between the rope and the surface.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting experiments and measuring the force required to move an object across a surface at different angles and tensions. The ratio of the force of friction to the normal force is equal to the coefficient of friction.

3. Can the force of friction be greater than the tension in the rope?

Yes, the force of friction can be greater than the tension in the rope. This can happen when the coefficient of friction is high and the angle between the rope and the surface is small. In this case, the frictional force will be greater than the tension force, making the object difficult to move.

4. How does the angle between the rope and the surface affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle between the rope and the surface. This means that as the angle decreases, the force of friction increases, and as the angle increases, the force of friction decreases.

5. What is the relationship between the force of friction and the weight of the object?

The force of friction is independent of the weight of the object. It is determined by the coefficient of friction, the tension in the rope, and the angle between the rope and the surface. The weight of the object only affects the normal force, which is used to calculate the coefficient of friction.