Calculate Power Needed for Conveyor Belt System

In summary, the problem is calculating the required horsepower for a DC motor to drive a two-pulley conveyor belt model system. The conveyor's specs include a total length of 2 feet, pulley diameter of 2.5 inches, total mass of 0.4536 kilograms, velocity of 0.2032 meters per second, and coefficients of static and sliding friction of 0.61 and 0.47 respectively. The relevant equations needed to calculate the horsepower are not provided, but a solution has been attempted and is attached for review. The goal is to accurately determine the required horsepower for the motor.
tehipwn

Homework Statement

It's been a while since I've had mechanical physics so I'm simply seeking which formulas will be needed for me to calculate what I need, then I will attempt a solution and post my responses.

My problem is this: I'm trying to figure out what horsepower motor I need to drive a two-pulley conveyor belt model system I am building. The specs of the conveyor are as follows:

Total length of conveyor = 2 feet = 0.6096 meters
Diameter of both pulleys = 2.5 inches = 0.0635 meters
Total Mass of objects being conveyed = 0.4536 kilograms
Velocity of objects being conveyed = 2 feet per 3 seconds = 0.2032 meters per second
Coefficient of static friction of belt surface = 0.61
Coefficient of sliding friction of belt surface = 0.47

I realize that I don't present an attempt at solution. I would very much appreciate some help selecting the Relevant Equations needed to arrive at the needed horsepower for my DC motor. A simple outline of the steps needed to calculate this would be appreciated as well, such as which things to calculate first then calculate next.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I know nobody responds without an attempted solution so for that I apologize. I have worked all night on this with my physics book trying to remember how to do these types of problems. I have come up with a solution that is attached. This is to the best of my current ability and I would appreciate someone to look it over and give suggestions for improvement.

The point of the problem is trying to calculate an accurate value for horsepower for a motor for a conveyor belt I'm building. All the values are given in the attachment, they have changed slightly from the values in the above post.

Thanks very much for any help!

Attachments

• conveyor_calculations_1.pdf
    388.7 KB · Views: 246

Related to Calculate Power Needed for Conveyor Belt System

1. What is the formula for calculating power needed for a conveyor belt system?

The formula for calculating power needed for a conveyor belt system is P = (T x V) / 1000, where P is the power (in kW), T is the total tension (in N), and V is the belt speed (in m/s).

2. How do I determine the total tension for a conveyor belt system?

The total tension for a conveyor belt system can be determined by adding together the tension caused by the weight of the load being transported (W), the tension caused by the weight of the conveyor belt (Tb), and the tension caused by any additional friction or resistance (Tm). The formula for total tension is T = W + Tb + Tm.

3. What factors can affect the power needed for a conveyor belt system?

The power needed for a conveyor belt system can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the load being transported, the speed of the conveyor belt, the length and width of the conveyor belt, the type of material being transported, and any additional friction or resistance.

4. How do I convert the units for power, tension, and belt speed?

To convert units for power, tension, and belt speed, you can use the following conversions: 1 kW = 1000 W, 1 N = 0.001 kN, and 1 m/s = 3.6 km/h. Make sure to use consistent units when plugging into the formula for calculating power needed for a conveyor belt system.

5. Can I use the same power calculation for all types of conveyor belt systems?

No, the power calculation for a conveyor belt system may vary depending on the type and design of the system. For example, a flat belt conveyor will have a different power calculation than a roller conveyor. It is important to use the appropriate formula for the specific type of conveyor belt system being used.