Calculate probability electron remains in ground state of He3.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of probability in a non-hydrogenlike atom with Z=1 to Z=2 and the use of the wave function for the ground state of hydrogen. The possibility of making an approximation for the probability of the electron being in the ground state of helium is also mentioned.
Shackleford
I'm not sure how to calculate the probability in a non-hydrogenlike atom. Perhaps I'm missing something. Z=1 to Z=2. Of course, n, the principal quantum number is n and l would be zero.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-23195548.jpg?t=1285517610

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. I wrote out the wave function for the ground state of hydrogen. I assume the spherical harmonics are normalized so the probably distribution function reduces to the radial term. Do I make some sort of approximation for the probability of the electron being in the ground state of helium since the Coulombic force Z-value increases from one to two?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-26204101.jpg?t=1285551867

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-26204113.jpg?t=1285551943

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the ground state of He3?

The ground state of He3 is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy in the Helium-3 atom.

2. How is the probability of an electron remaining in the ground state of He3 calculated?

The probability of an electron remaining in the ground state of He3 is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the energy levels and wave function of the electron.

3. What factors affect the probability of an electron remaining in the ground state of He3?

The probability of an electron remaining in the ground state of He3 is affected by factors such as the energy of the electron, the size of the atom, and any external forces acting on the atom.

4. Why is the ground state of He3 important in understanding the behavior of atoms?

The ground state of He3 is important because it is the most stable and lowest energy state that an electron can occupy in an atom. Understanding the ground state allows us to predict the behavior and properties of atoms.

5. How does the probability of an electron remaining in the ground state of He3 change at different temperatures?

At higher temperatures, the probability of an electron remaining in the ground state of He3 decreases. This is because the energy of the atom increases and the electron is more likely to occupy higher energy levels.