Calculate speed and acceleration

In summary: She had constant acceleration the first 3 s and after that she had constant speed(velocity if you will). After the first 3 seconds she had a constant acceleration of 9.81 m/s2 and after the 8.8 seconds she had a total distance of 101.81 m.
lamefeed
A person runs 100 m in 11.8 s. She had constant acceleration the first 3.0 s and after that she had constant speed(velocity if you will)

s=vt
v = v0 + at
s= v0t + 1/2at^2
2as = v^2 – Vo^2

I have tried a bunch of times but I seem to get it wrong every single time. This has given me a small headache the last couple of hours.

[itex]s(100)=\frac{1}{2}*a*3^2*t[/itex]
[itex]a=\frac{100}{9/2*11.8}[/itex]

Hope anyone can make sense out of this and give me a explanation on how to get the correct answers.

The correct answers is in the spoiler
a = 3.24m/s^2
v=9.71m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
If a was her acceleration during the first 3 sec, what was her speed and distance after those three seconds (in terms of a)? If her speed remained constant during the next 8.8 sec, what was her additional distance during those 8.8 sec(in terms of a)? In terms of a, what was her total distance?

Chestermiller said:
If a was her acceleration during the first 3 sec, what was her speed and distance after those three seconds (in terms of a)? If her speed remained constant during the next 8.8 sec, what was her additional distance during those 8.8 sec(in terms of a)? In terms of a, what was her total distance?
Total distance is 100 m, she ran 100 m in 11.8 s, she had constant acceleration during the first 3 s after that(the remaining 8.8 s) she had constant v.

[itex]s = vt[/itex]
[itex]s = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]
A combination of the two is what I suspect to be the correct formula

something along the lines of this:

[itex]s = \frac{1}{2}at_1^2 + vt_2 [/itex]

Where t(1) = 3 s, and t(2) = 8.8 s

Good. Now all you need to do is substitute the relationship for v as a function of a and t1. (v doesn't change after the initial 3 seconds). This will give you what you need to solve for a.

Chet

Related to Calculate speed and acceleration

1. How do you calculate speed?

To calculate speed, you divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time.

2. What units are used to measure speed?

Speed is usually measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), or miles per hour (mph).

3. How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you divide the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity)/time.

4. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is usually measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

5. Can you calculate speed and acceleration at the same time?

Yes, you can calculate speed and acceleration at the same time if you have enough information. For example, if you know the initial and final velocities and the time it took to change between them, you can calculate both speed and acceleration using the formulas mentioned earlier.