Calculate Sunset Local Time: 36N, 6E | Hour Angle, Declination Angle & More!

• Thread starter antonyda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local Time
In summary, in order to calculate the sunset local time for a location with a latitude of 36 N and longitude of 6 E, the hour angle was first determined to be 86.25. However, without the day number and month, it was not possible to determine the declination angle and the equation of time. The solar altitude angle was also unable to be calculated due to the nature of sunset and sunrise. Instead, the declination angle of solar altitude relation was calculated to be -5.144. However, this led to a negative value when attempting to calculate the day number, indicating an error. As a result, the time correction factor of 1 hour may need to be considered.
antonyda
calculate the sunset local time for a location : latitude = 36 N , longitude = 6 E
if the apparent solar time at this moment was 17h,45 , and ?
i started with hour angle h = 86.25 , after that i tried to determine the declination angle d but i don't have the day number and the month , also that for equation of time i can't determine and for the solar altitude angle =0 since for sunset and sunrise so i calculated the declination angle of solar altitude relation and i get a d= -5.144 and when i tried to calculate the day number of declination angle i had a negative value and that's wrong
so what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
the time correction factor = 1 hour

Attachments

• 20150522_163116.jpg
    20150522_163116.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 416

1. What is the purpose of calculating sunset local time?

The purpose of calculating sunset local time is to determine the exact time at which the sun sets in a specific location. This information can be useful for planning outdoor activities, scheduling events, and understanding the Earth's rotation and position relative to the sun.

2. How is sunset local time calculated?

Sunset local time is calculated using a combination of factors including the location's latitude and longitude, the declination angle of the sun, and the hour angle. The hour angle is the angular distance of the sun from the observer's meridian, while the declination angle is the angular distance of the sun from the celestial equator.

3. What is the significance of the latitude and longitude in calculating sunset local time?

The latitude and longitude of a location are important in calculating sunset local time because they determine the position of the observer on the Earth's surface. This information is necessary to determine the angle at which the sun sets and the length of daylight at a specific location.

4. How does the declination angle affect sunset local time?

The declination angle of the sun is the main factor that determines the length of daylight at a specific location. As the declination angle changes throughout the year, so does the time of sunset. In the summer, when the declination angle is higher, sunset will occur later in the day compared to winter when the declination angle is lower.

5. Can sunset local time be calculated accurately for any location?

Yes, sunset local time can be calculated accurately for any location on Earth as long as the latitude and longitude are known. However, other factors such as weather conditions and atmospheric refraction may slightly affect the actual time of sunset.