Calculate the integral of x^2 e^(-x^2) from -infinity to + infinity

In summary, an integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve and calculate the total value of a function over a specific interval. It involves integrating a function by finding the area under its curve. There are several methods, such as the power rule and substitution, for calculating integrals. The purpose of calculating integrals is to find the total value of a function and to solve real-world problems in fields like physics and engineering. While there are shortcuts available, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of integration.
stunner5000pt
[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{\frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma^2}} dx [/tex]
I think just slving this would be fine too

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-x^2} dx [/tex]

what is the trick to solving this?/

Cnat integrate by parts because that would yeild Erf function which i have no been taught

I was told that there was some trick to differentiate both sides by sigma... but I am not relly sure...?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\sigma x^2} dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\sigma}} [/tex]

Differentiate both sides with respect to sigma.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific interval.

What does it mean to integrate a function?

Integrating a function means finding the area under the curve of that function. It is a way to calculate the total value of a function over a specific interval.

How do I calculate the integral of a function?

To calculate the integral of a function, you can use a few different methods such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. In this case, the integral of x^2 e^(-x^2) from -infinity to + infinity can be solved using the substitution method.

What is the purpose of calculating the integral of a function?

Calculating the integral of a function can help in finding the total value of that function over a specific interval. It is also used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to solve real-world problems and make predictions.

Is there a shortcut to calculating integrals?

There are several techniques and rules that can be used to simplify the process of calculating integrals. However, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts and principles behind integration to use these shortcuts effectively.