Calculate the mass of particle 2

In summary, we use Newton's second law, F = ma, to find the mass of particle two, m2, which is equal to a2/F. For part b, we use Coulomb's law, F=kq1q2/r^2, and the fact that q1 = -q2 to find the magnitude of the charge, q, on each particle.
shimizua

Homework Statement

Two point-like particles are placed a distance, d, apart and are
given equal and opposite charge. The first particle, of mass m1, has
an initial acceleration of a1 toward the second particle.

a)Calculate the mass of particle two, m2, if it has an initial acceleration of a2.
b)What is the magnitude of the charge, q, on each particle?

Homework Equations

I am pretty sure I would be a=F/m
Coulombs law F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So we arent supposed to actually have numbers to this, we just need to write like what equation we use and why we use it and stuff like that.
For part a, we would just use a=F/m (cant remember what the name of the equation is if you can help me with that too). but since we know what m1 and a1 are we use that to find F. Then we just use that F since it would be the same for both (at least I think) and we know what a2 is. so it would just be a2/F=m2. Right?
then for part b i am just not really sure. I know that we would want to use Coulomb's Law to find it. so F=kq1q2/r^2. but since we don't know either charge i am just confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shimizua! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
shimizua said:
For part a, we would just use a=F/m (cant remember what the name of the equation is if you can help me with that too).

That's good ol' Newton's second law … F = ma. :wink:
but since we know what m1 and a1 are we use that to find F. Then we just use that F since it would be the same for both (at least I think) and we know what a2 is. so it would just be a2/F=m2. Right?

Right. :smile:
then for part b i am just not really sure. I know that we would want to use Coulomb's Law to find it. so F=kq1q2/r^2. but since we don't know either charge i am just confused

But you know q1 = -q2, and you've just found F. :wink:

on how to go about this.

Yes, you are on the right track for part a. The equation you are using is Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. So, using the known values for m1 and a1, you can calculate the net force acting on particle 1 and then use that to find the mass of particle 2.

For part b, you are correct that you will need to use Coulomb's Law. Since the two particles have equal and opposite charges, the force between them will be equal and opposite as well. This means that the magnitude of the charges, q, will be the same for both particles. So, you can set up an equation using Coulomb's Law with the known values for the net force and the distance between the particles, and solve for q.

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of particle 2?

The formula for calculating the mass of particle 2 is: mass of particle 2 = (mass of particle 1 * velocity of particle 1) / velocity of particle 2.

2. How do I determine the velocity of particle 1 and particle 2?

The velocity of particle 1 and particle 2 can be determined by measuring the distance traveled and the time taken for each particle.

3. Can the mass of particle 2 be negative?

No, the mass of particle 2 cannot be negative as mass is a scalar quantity and cannot have a negative value.

4. Do I need any special units to calculate the mass of particle 2?

Yes, both the mass and velocity of particle 1 and particle 2 must be in the same units in order for the calculation to be accurate. Common units used are kilograms (kg) for mass and meters per second (m/s) for velocity.

5. Is there a difference between mass and weight when calculating the mass of particle 2?

Yes, mass and weight are two different quantities. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Therefore, when calculating the mass of particle 2, we are referring to its mass, not its weight.