Calculate the maximum charge that can be stored in the capacitor

I know this is a typo and you meant 3cm^2 = 0.0003m^2 (or that the area is 0.0003m^2), but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the difference.In summary, the parallel plate capacitor has an area of 3.00 cm2 and a dielectric material with a dielectric constant of 2.40 and a dielectric strength of 5.00 kV/mm is placed between the plates. Using the equations C=(K\epsilonA)/d and E=V/d, the maximum charge that can be stored in the capacitor is found to be 31.9 nC. This can also be derived using the
unhip_crayon

Homework Statement

Each plate of a parallel plate capacitor has an area of 3.00 cm2. A dielectric material with
dielectric constant κ = 2.40 and a dielectric strength of 5.00 kV/mm is placed between the plates.
Calculate the maximum charge that can be stored in the capacitor.

Answer: 31.9 nC

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C=(K[tex]\epsilon[/tex]A)/d

and I know that E=V/d

K=2.4
[tex]\epsilon[/tex]=8.85*10^-12
A=0.3
E=5.00

but i can't find d, which is what i probably need

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the effective electric field, [itex]E_f[/itex] can be written as,

[tex]E_f = E_0-E_p[/tex]

Where [itex]E_p[/itex] is the electric field due to the polarisation charges in the dielectric and [itex]E_0[/itex] is the electric field in the absence of a dielectric material.

Last edited:
is there another method of approaching this question? I don't believe we've learned this.

Could you expand your equatiion please

How much physics have you done? Have you worked with Gaussian surfaces and Gauss' law before?

i missed a week of school when I tore a ligament in my ankle so I missed those lectures, but I do have the notes and I know about gauss' law

E=q/E0A

Could you please just start me off, I have exams comming up

unhip_crayon said:
i missed a week of school when I tore a ligament in my ankle so I missed those lectures, but I do have the notes and I know about gauss' law

E=q/E0A

Could you please just start me off, I have exams comming up
It can be shown that the electric field of a dielectric capacitor may be written thus,

[tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{\kappa \varepsilon_0}[/tex]

Where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the surface charge density and [itex]\kappa[/itex] is the dielectric constant. If I have a little more time this evening I'll post a write up of how it is derived (or you could just look at your notes).

that formula is nowhere in our notes...hmm. I'm going to ask a buddy of mine for the solution, but if you don't mind could you post you method too.

Surface charge density...is that a constant?

I'm afraid until you've answered the question, forum guidelines prohibit me from posting the derivation.

Yes, once the capacitor is charged and the dielectric is inserted, the charge density is constant.

so what is the charge density?

unhip_crayon said:
so what is the charge density?
The [surface] charge density on a plate is the total charge on the plate divided by the plate's area.

Is this right

Total charge on plate is q= E*E0A -- gauss' law
Plates area is, of course, 3.00

Last edited:
unhip_crayon said:
Is this right

Total charge on plate is q= E*E0A -- gauss' law
Plates area is, of course, 3.00
That is only true in the absence of a dielectric material.

first off, id like to thank you for your help, I am learning a lot.

the only formulas i have for a dielectric material are:

E = 1/2(qV) = 1/2(q0)(V0/k) = E0/k

C=q/v = qk/V0 = kC0

unhip_crayon said:
first off, id like to thank you for your help, I am learning a lot.

the only formulas i have for a dielectric material are:

E = 1/2(qV) = 1/2(q0)(V0/k) = E0/k

C=q/v = qk/V0 = kC0
I'm sorry I think I've just dragged you the long way round. Going back to the two equations in your OP,
unhip_crayon said:
C=(K[tex]\epsilon[/tex]A)/d

and I know that E=V/d
Can you think of a way of eliminating d from the first equation using the second?

And this equation,
unhip_crayon said:
C=q/v
may also come in handy at some point :wink:

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
I'm sorry I think I've just dragged you the long way round. Going back to the two equations in your OP,

Can you think of a way of eliminating d from the first equation using the second?

And this equation,

may also come in handy at some point :wink:

haha yes, yes i can.
I had a feeling there was another, easier method. Thanks for you help

unhip_crayon said:
haha yes, yes i can.
I had a feeling there was another, easier method. Thanks for you help
No problem :smile:

I got the answer, but I have a question. Why do we use 3.00cm^2 instead of m^2

unhip_crayon said:
I got the answer, but I have a question. Why do we use 3.00cm^2 instead of m^2
I'm not sure what you mean, it doesn't matter which units one uses provided one converts them all to the same type. However, I noticed in your OP that,
unhip_crayon said:
Each plate of a parallel plate capacitor has an area of 3.00 cm2. A dielectric material with
dielectric constant κ = 2.40 and a dielectric strength of 5.00 kV/mm is placed between the plates.
[...]
A=0.3
You should note that [itex]3cm^2 \neq 0.3m^2[/itex].

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric.

How do you calculate the maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor?

The maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

What factors affect the maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor?

The maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor is affected by the capacitance value, the voltage applied, and the type of dielectric used. A higher capacitance value and a higher voltage will result in a higher maximum charge, while a thicker dielectric material will increase the maximum charge.

Why is it important to calculate the maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor?

Calculating the maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor is important in designing and using electronic circuits. It helps determine the appropriate capacitor size and voltage rating needed for a specific application, and ensures that the capacitor will not exceed its maximum charge limit and potentially cause damage.

Can the maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum charge that can be stored in a capacitor can be exceeded if the applied voltage is too high, or if the capacitor is connected to a power source for an extended period of time. This can result in the capacitor becoming damaged or even exploding. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and use capacitors within their specified limits.