Calculate the speed of other car

• Thread starter CatAteMyHW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, a possible method for calculating the speed of a passing car while driving is to fix two stationary points on the road, measure the time it takes for the other car to pass each point and the time it takes for your own car to reach those points, and use a formula to calculate the other car's speed based on your own speed. However, this method relies on several assumptions and may not be accurate in situations where the other car is accelerating or decelerating. Other potential methods include using a radar gun or measuring the time it takes for the other car to pass a particular point on your own car. However, all of these methods are only estimations and may have errors due to factors such as parallax.
CatAteMyHW
Hello everyone!
I was just wondering that while driving, is there a way to calculate speed of an other car that passes you?
I worked out a way but I needed more heads on this [that's what she..meh] so here's it:
When the car traveling faster than me goes pass me(me - carA;other car - carB), I fix a stationary point (pointA) ahead of carB on the road (like a tree). Now when carB passes that pointA, I start counting. I keep counting till I myself (CarA) reaches that pointA and note down the value (say x). Now while still counting I again fix another point (pointB) ahead of CarB and note down the value (say y) when it reaches there. Finally I note down the value (say z) when I (CarA) reach that pointB.
From this CarB's speed turns out to be ((z-x)/(y-1)) times my speed.
Now there's a lotta assumptions here because I wanted an "easy" method.
attachment.php?attachmentid=30700&stc=1&d=1292533130.png

That was my take, could there be other methods (perhaps better than this)?

Attachments

• car.png
    car.png
    5 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org
The easy method is to get yourself a radar gun and hold it out of your window. Add your own vehicle speed to the reading, and Bob's your uncle.

edit: Oops. I wrote that wrong the first time. Edited to fix.

Last edited:
Yes. That was the first thing on my mind but I realized buying one (or using it where I live) wouldn't be too easy for me for some reasons.
But isn't all-done-in-head way much cooler? I can see how this would seem trivial to you guys calculating and exploring speeds much much greater than vehicles. Now I'm not an expert in relativity and tensors and stuff but I'm a curious guy still exploring Newtonian physics and mathematics applicable in real world. With that I'll admit that I may be stoned when I first thought of all this :redface:

Why the denominator is y-1, it seems to me it has to be just y. (z-x)*your_speed=the distance between trees, and y is the time for car B to travel this distance.

Still this way u calculate the average speed over the distance between the trees, if the car accelerates a lot (or deccelerates) between the trees this calculation gives a result which is not close to the speed of carB as it reaches tree B.

Delta² said:
Why the denominator is y-1
Yea, thanks for seconding on that. I calculated it to be just 'y' myself. But when posting, I looked at the stunningly accurate graphic(/s) I made in MS paint and saw that carB is covering twice the distance than carA in each 'second' so something must've been wrong in my calculation d'oh!
Delta² said:
Still this way u calculate the average speed over the distance between the trees, if the car accelerates a lot (or deccelerates) between the trees this calculation gives a result which is not close to the speed of carB as it reaches tree B.
Yup, lotta assumptions there to tone down the calculations. On a highway though, it's safe to say error would be less that ±10%, yes? After all, it's ultimately you who decides when is the right time to apply this to minimize error.

If you know the length of your car you could just count out the time he takes to move from about your rear bumper to the front. So V= L/t where L is the length of your car. His speed is then your speed + V. This will only be accurate if his speed is not a huge amount greater then yours.

It is not easy to judge just when a car in front of you passes so object. As your diagram shows there is a lot of parallax involved. Any of these methods are a guesstimate at best.

I think the mistake with the diagram is that you start from 1, where i believe you should start from 0.

I guess the error will not be big if you do the calculations when the velocities of both vehicles seem to be constant (like in big straight lines when the vehicles have reach their top speed).

Delta² said:
I guess the error will not be big if you do the calculations when the velocities of both vehicles seem to be constant (like in big straight lines when the vehicles have reach their top speed).
Yup. In fact my intent was to have something better than just guessing "That car must've been above 100!". So as long as I take the measurements in just the right conditions I can guess with a level of certainty.
Integral said:
As your diagram shows there is a lot of parallax involved.
Yup. Though I'm relying on the brain's 3-D perception for minimizing parallax error:
attachment.php?attachmentid=30708&stc=1&d=1292618683.jpg

Integral said:
If you know the length of your car you could just count out the time he takes to move from about your rear bumper to the front.
hmm that's intriguing! Although you have to be know (by looking in rear-view) long before...
And wouldn't parallax be worse? I mean I always have trouble judging distances in rear-view rather than in front of me.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 478

1. How do you calculate the speed of another car?

To calculate the speed of another car, you first need to know the distance between your car and the other car. Then, use a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for the other car to travel that distance. Finally, divide the distance by the time to get the speed in units of distance per time (e.g. miles per hour).

2. What information do you need to calculate the speed of another car?

You will need to know the distance between your car and the other car, as well as the time it takes for the other car to travel that distance. You may also need to know the units of distance and time being used.

3. Can you calculate the speed of another car without knowing the distance?

No, you cannot calculate the speed of another car without knowing the distance it travels. Distance is a key component in the formula for calculating speed (speed = distance / time).

4. How accurate is the calculated speed of another car?

The accuracy of the calculated speed of another car depends on the accuracy of the distance and time measurements. The more precise and accurate these measurements are, the more accurate the calculated speed will be.

5. Is there a formula for calculating the speed of another car?

Yes, the formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time. This formula can be used to calculate the speed of any moving object, including another car.