Calculate the thickness

• Thread starter Mathijsgri
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If i have steal bridge that is 35 meter long, 1,2 meter and 15000kg , how do i calculate the
thickness so that de bridge doesn't deflect?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
If i have steal bridge that is 35 meter long, 1,2 meter and 15000kg , how do i calculate the
That would require infinite thickness to achieve no deflection at all. Perhaps you could state your problem less vaguely.

berkeman
Mentor
Is this question for schoolwork? If so, what is the exact problem statement?

That would require infinite thickness to achieve no deflection at all. Perhaps you could state your problem less vaguely.
I understand that it is not possible to have no deflection. I have to design a gangway(a bridge between a ship and a platform), it has to be 35 meters long and at least 1,2 meters wide. I estimated that will weigh around 15000kg. How do i calculate how much it deflect?

berkeman
Mentor
I understand that it is not possible to have no deflection. I have to design a gangway(a bridge between a ship and a platform), it has to be 35 meters long and at least 1,2 meters wide. I estimated that will weigh around 15000kg. How do i calculate how much it deflect?
You did not answer my question.

If this is for schoolwork, you need to post your question in the Homework Help, Engineering forum and fill out the Homework Help Template with the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution.

If this is for real-world work, you need to get your ME degree, pass the PE exam, and work for an Engineering company that carries liability insurance for the designs you work on.

This thread is closed until you can send me a PM to convince me that it should be re-opened.