Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the thickness

1. Nov 11, 2016 #1
    If i have steal bridge that is 35 meter long, 1,2 meter and 15000kg , how do i calculate the
    thickness so that de bridge doesn't deflect?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would require infinite thickness to achieve no deflection at all. Perhaps you could state your problem less vaguely.

4. Nov 11, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is this question for schoolwork? If so, what is the exact problem statement?

5. Nov 11, 2016 #4
    I understand that it is not possible to have no deflection. I have to design a gangway(a bridge between a ship and a platform), it has to be 35 meters long and at least 1,2 meters wide. I estimated that will weigh around 15000kg. How do i calculate how much it deflect?

6. Nov 11, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You did not answer my question.

If this is for schoolwork, you need to post your question in the Homework Help, Engineering forum and fill out the Homework Help Template with the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution.

If this is for real-world work, you need to get your ME degree, pass the PE exam, and work for an Engineering company that carries liability insurance for the designs you work on.

This thread is closed until you can send me a PM to convince me that it should be re-opened.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook