Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the torque about the elbow

1. Oct 24, 2004 #1
    Athletes sometimes do an exercise called "curing weights." This exercise consists of holding the arm from the shoulder to the elbow steady and snug against the body while pulling a weight to the chest. Calculate the torque about the elbow caused by a 40 pound weight that makes an angle of 55 degrees with respect to the body.

i know the formula is torque= F s sin()
    I found the force by coverting pound 40pounds/2.2046kg= 18.144kg x 1000g= 18144 g x 9.81m/s =177993force

torque= F s sin(55)= (18144g)(9.81 m/s2) (s) sin(55)=

but what is s they don't give me the s. do i have to use other formula? am confused? please help
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2
    I suppose you need to estimate the length of an ordinary arm and calculate the torque accordingly.
  4. Oct 25, 2004 #3
    Seems to me, if they don't give you a length of the forearm, then you have solved it completely with s left as a variable. Although, I would probably express the force as 178 KN, but thats just me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?