Finding Laurent Series for a Rational Function on an Annulus

In summary, the Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(z(z-1)(z-2)) on the annulus between 1 and 2 with the origin as center can be found by first using partial fraction decomposition to express the function as 1/2z + -1/(z-1) + 1/(2(z-2)). Then, the first two terms can be expanded as series in 1/z and the third term can be expanded as a series in z.
QuantumLuck

Homework Statement

find the Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(z(z-1)(z-2)) on the annulus between 1 and 2. with the origin as center.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found the partial fraction decomposition of this function and it turns out to be f(z) = 1/2z + -1/(z-1) + 1/(2(z-2)). In order to find the Laurent series do I just Taylor expand each of my 3 different decomposition around their singularities? However, their singularities are not contained on the annulus so this doesn't seem to make much sense. I am unsure how to proceed from this spot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that 1/2z and -1/(z-1) have their singularity "inside" the annulus, while 1/(2(z-2)) has a singularity "outside" the annulus. Try expressing the first two as series in 1/z and the third one as a series in z (i.e. Taylor series).

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of mathematical series used to represent complex functions in the form of an infinite sum. It is named after mathematician Pierre Alphonse Laurent and is similar to a Taylor series, but it includes both positive and negative powers of the variable.

2. How do you calculate a Laurent series?

To calculate a Laurent series, you first need to determine the center of the series, which is typically denoted by the variable z. Then, using the center as the starting point, you can expand the function into an infinite sum of terms with both positive and negative powers of z. The coefficients of each term can be calculated using the formula for the nth term of a Laurent series, which involves taking derivatives of the original function.

3. What is the difference between a Laurent series and a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes positive powers of the variable, while a Laurent series also includes negative powers. This allows Laurent series to represent functions with singularities or poles, which are points where the function is undefined or infinite. In contrast, Taylor series can only represent functions that are infinitely differentiable at a given point.

4. What is the significance of a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is significant because it can represent a wider range of complex functions compared to a Taylor series. It is also useful in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve complex functions. Laurent series can also be used to approximate the values of functions that are difficult to calculate directly.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Laurent series?

One limitation of using a Laurent series is that it only applies to analytic functions, which are functions that can be represented by a convergent power series. Additionally, the convergence of a Laurent series can be affected by the location of singularities or poles in the function. In some cases, the series may not converge at all or may only converge within a certain radius.