Calculating Acceleration for Airplane Takeoff | Simple Physics Problem

• Thread starter hotshot1kille
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary: The question is most likely a mistake and should have read 240 km/h instead of 2.4 km/h. The answer would make more sense and be more realistic. In summary, the question asks for the acceleration of a plane that needs to reach a velocity of 2.4 km/h in order to lift off, with 45 seconds of runway time. However, there may be an error in the question as the answer does not seem realistic. The correct answer would most likely be 1.5 * 10^-2 m/s^2 instead of 1.5 * 10^2 m/s^2.
hotshot1kille

Homework Statement

A plane must reach a velocity of 2.4 km/h to lift off. If it has 45s of runway time, what must its acceleration be?

vf= 2.4km/h or 0.666666666666 m/s

vi=0.0 m/s

Δt=45s

a= ?

Homework Equations

vf= vi+ aΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

vf- vi
------- = a
Δt

0.666666666-0.0
---------------- = a
45 s

a= 0.014814814 m/s^2
a= 1.5 * 10^2 m/s^2

i did all of this but i am getting the wrong answer. Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
a = 1.5 * 10^ (-2) m/s^2

negative 2 not positive 2
otherwise it seems fine

the answer is 1.5 * 10 ^ 2 m/s^2 [E]. but they don't state which direction is negative or positive. so i am still right?

Seems like two orders of magnitude error here. And that lift off speed is a very leisure walk speed. Could it be that the question reads:
A plane must reach a velocity of 240 km/h to lift off.

as for direction, if it didn't state which way the airplane was flying, then it doesn't matter
I would say it is a bad question

and for 10^-2

the answer should be 10^-2 not 10^2
because the answer was 0.015

think about it, 10^-2 =1/(10^2) = 1/100 =0.01
so the answer should be 1.5 x 0.01 =0.015

I got it directly from the worksheet i have and it says it must reach a velocity of 2.4 km/h. I know it is not realistic in a real world, but considering that the teacher just made up numbers so we can practice.

Andre said:
Seems like two orders of magnitude error here. And that lift off speed is a very leisure walk speed. Could it be that the question reads:
A plane must reach a velocity of 240 km/h to lift off.

yes maybe that is the problem
the airplane cannot fly when its speed is slower than a hamster on treadmill

arpeggio said:
as for direction, if it didn't state which way the airplane was flying, then it doesn't matter
I would say it is a bad question

and for 10^-2

the answer should be 10^-2 not 10^2
because the answer was 0.015

think about it, 10^-2 =1/(10^2) = 1/100 =0.01
so the answer should be 1.5 x 0.01 =0.015

ye i agree with you

What is the "Very Simple Airplane problem"?

The "Very Simple Airplane problem" is a hypothetical scenario used in introductory physics courses to teach the principles of motion and forces. It involves a simple airplane flying at a constant velocity and encountering a gust of wind, causing it to deviate from its original path.

What are the main forces acting on the airplane in this problem?

The main forces acting on the airplane are thrust, drag, lift, and weight. Thrust is the force produced by the airplane's engines, drag is the resistance caused by the air, lift is the force that keeps the airplane in the air, and weight is the force of gravity pulling the airplane down.

How does the angle of the gust of wind affect the airplane's movement?

The angle of the gust of wind can affect the airplane's movement in different ways. If the gust is perpendicular to the airplane's path, it will cause the airplane to deviate from its original path. If the gust is at an angle, it can also cause the airplane to change direction and altitude.

What are some real-life applications of the "Very Simple Airplane problem"?

The "Very Simple Airplane problem" can be applied to real-life situations, such as understanding the flight dynamics of airplanes, designing aerodynamic structures, and predicting the effects of wind on aircraft performance. It can also be used to study the principles of motion and forces in other fields, such as engineering and meteorology.

What are some key takeaways from solving the "Very Simple Airplane problem"?

Solving the "Very Simple Airplane problem" can help us understand the relationship between forces, motion, and direction. It also highlights the importance of considering external factors, such as wind, in predicting the movement of objects. Additionally, it can improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities in applying scientific principles to real-world scenarios.