Calculating Distance Traveled: Airplane Acceleration Equation Explained

• Thread starter Infinty
  • Start date
In summary, the distance traveled before takeoff can be calculated using the formula d = vi*t + 0.5*a*t^2, where vi is the initial velocity (in this case, 0 m/s), a is the acceleration (in this case, 3.20 m/s^2), and t is the time (in this case, 32.8 s). After performing the calculations correctly, the answer is 1721.344 m.
Infinty
Warning: Thread titles should be descriptive of the thread content, not a plea for help.

Homework Statement

An airplane accelerates down a runway at 3.20 m/s2 for 32.8 s until is finally lifts off the ground. Determine the distance traveled before takeoff.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so i get how to write it, and I understand what the majority of the equation means. But when I do the actual math, the answer is totally effed up. Haha. How am I calculating wrong? Could someone please break down the calculations part for me so I can better understand this kind of question?

d = vi*t + 0.5*a*t2

d = (0 m/s)*(32.8 s)+ 0.5*(3.20 m/s2)*(32.8 s)2The answer in the answer key says it is:

1720 M

..that is not what I got.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get?

Are you aware that "2" at the end of your equation should be squared?

that is,

##d = v_i t + 0.5 a t^2##

I get the same answer as the key using that equation.

e.bar.goum said:
What did you get?

Are you aware that "2" at the end of your equation should be squared?

that is,

##d = v_i t + 0.5 a t^2##

I get the same answer as the key using that equation.
Ahh yes. I am aware is should be squared. I'm completely new to physics and am struggling a bit. Is the first part of the equation: d = (0 m/s)*(32.8 s)
not equal to zero since you are multiplying 32.8 by zero? From there I'm just..sort of lost. I apologize if this seem ignorant and basic.

billy_joule said:
It's t squared.

d = vi*t + 0.5*a*t2
not
d = vi*t + 0.5*a*t2

Pasting your work into wolfram and adding the missing caret gives the correct answer:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d+=+(0+m/s)*(32.8+s)++0.5*(3.20+m/s2)*(32.8+s)^2

Haha my ignorance is killing me. I guess I'm just not sure how to go about the math. I'm assuming the first part d = (0 m/s)*(32.8 s) is equal to zero since you are multiplying it...and then what?

Infinty said:
Ahh yes. I am aware is should be squared. I'm completely new to physics and am struggling a bit. Is the first part of the equation: d = (0 m/s)*(32.8 s)
not equal to zero since you are multiplying 32.8 by zero? From there I'm just..sort of lost. I apologize if this seem ignorant and basic.

Yep! That part is absolutely equal to zero. What about 0.5*(3.20 m/s2)*(32.8 s)^2 ?

e.bar.goum said:
Yep! That part is absolutely equal to zero. What about 0.5*(3.20 m/s2)*(32.8 s)^2 ?

So then I assume I take half of 3.20 and multiply it by 32.8 squared?

Infinty said:
So then I assume I take half of 3.20 and multiply it by 32.8 squared?

Sure. What do you get?

e.bar.goum said:
Sure. What do you get?

By George, I think I've got it!

I'm not even sure what I was doing wrong now before! Hahah. 1721.344

Ahh thank you for humoring me on this...I think perhaps I wasn't even squaring at the end. Couldn't even tell you now. :)

Likes billy_joule and e.bar.goum
Since there is no initial velocity, ## x = \frac{at^2}{2} ##, you know what the acceleration is, the time is also given and ##\frac{1}{2} ## is ##\frac{1}{2}##, work it out !

Infinty said:
By George, I think I've got it!

I'm not even sure what I was doing wrong now before! Hahah. 1721.344

Ahh thank you for humoring me on this...I think perhaps I wasn't even squaring at the end. Couldn't even tell you now. :)

Great! And no worries, we've all been there before!

What is a simple question?

A simple question is a question that is easy to understand and does not require a lot of thought or explanation to answer.

Why do people need help with simple questions?

People may need help with simple questions because they are unsure of the answer or need clarification on a certain topic.

How can I effectively get help for a simple question?

You can effectively get help for a simple question by clearly stating your question and providing any necessary context or background information. You can also seek help from reliable sources such as experts or reputable websites.

Can simple questions lead to more complex discussions?

Yes, simple questions can often lead to more complex discussions as they may spark curiosity and further exploration of a topic.

What are some examples of simple questions?

Some examples of simple questions include: What is the capital of France? How many planets are in our solar system? What is the difference between weather and climate?