How Is Barrier Height Calculated in Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a forum rule regarding double-posting and the person's decision to only post a link to their original post instead. The thread has been locked to prevent replies in both threads.
energymover
I don't want to double post, so I'll just post the link to my original physicsforums.com post since my question is probably more of a physics than engineer question -->

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=274887"

Thanks for any help,
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
energymover said:
I don't want to double post, so I'll just post the link to my original physicsforums.com post since my question is probably more of a physics than engineer question -->

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=274887"

Thanks for any help,
Paul

Interesting twist on the forum rules. I'll allow it for now (mostly because you have an interesting question), but in the future, posting a link is pretty much the same as double-posting.

I'm going to lock this thread for now, to ensure that replies are posted in your original thread and not in both threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Paul,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. I am happy to assist you with understanding the concept of barrier height.

Barrier height refers to the energy required to overcome a potential barrier, such as an energy barrier between two molecules or a potential barrier in an electronic device. In order to calculate barrier height, we need to know the height of the barrier, the distance between the two molecules or the thickness of the barrier in the device, and the energy of the particles involved.

One approach to calculating barrier height is to use the classical mechanics concept of potential energy. In this approach, we can use the equation E = 1/2mv^2 + V(x), where E is the total energy, m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and V(x) is the potential energy at a given position x. By solving for V(x) at the peak of the barrier, we can determine the barrier height.

Another approach is to use quantum mechanics, which takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles. In this approach, we can use the Schrödinger equation to calculate the probability of a particle tunneling through the barrier. The barrier height can then be determined by finding the energy at which the probability of tunneling is highest.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of barrier height for you. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the above methods, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is barrier height?

Barrier height refers to the energy difference between the reactants and the transition state in a chemical reaction. It is a measure of how difficult it is for a reaction to occur.

2. How is barrier height calculated?

Barrier height can be calculated using various methods, such as quantum mechanical calculations or experimental techniques. In quantum mechanical calculations, the energy of the transition state is compared to the energies of the reactants and products to determine the barrier height.

3. What factors affect barrier height?

The barrier height of a reaction can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of reaction, temperature, and the presence of catalysts. The stability of the reactants and products also plays a role in determining the barrier height.

4. Why is barrier height important?

Barrier height is important because it provides insight into the rate of a chemical reaction. The higher the barrier height, the slower the reaction will occur. Understanding barrier height can also aid in the design of more efficient and selective chemical processes.

5. Can barrier height be lowered?

Yes, barrier height can be lowered through the use of catalysts or by changing reaction conditions such as temperature and pressure. This can result in a faster and more efficient reaction. However, lowering the barrier height too much can also lead to unwanted side reactions.