1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating cell potentials

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the potential of a Zn^2+/Zn and Ag^1+/Ag couple.

2. Relevant equations

Zn^2+ + 2e^1– ⇌ Zn E= –0.76 V
    Ag^1+ + e^1– ⇌ Ag E= +0.80 V

3. The attempt at a solution

First I know to multiply the silver half reaction by two so that each half reaction has two electrons. Then I flip the zinc reaction and switch the sign of its energy. Then, I added the two energies to get a cell potential of 1.56V. However, my homework is telling me that this is incorrect. I can not think of any reason why that is so. Any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

E is not energy. You don't need to balance reaction to calculate potential. You don't flip the reaction - direction doesn't matter, both oxidation and reduction are both taking place at exactly the same potential.

All that being said, 1.56 looks fine to me... I can be missing something - it happens, especiall early in the morning - but I think it is OK.

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook