Calculating Charge on a Spherical Surface with Varying Density

In summary, the conversation is about determining the total amount of electric charge on a spherical surface with a given charge density specified in spherical polar coordinates. The solution involves finding the total charge using the equation Q = ∫f dA and integrating over the surface using the given charge density. However, the solution initially gives a result of zero, which is later explained by the fact that cos(θ) changes sign at θ=pi/2, resulting in a negative charge on the lower hemisphere.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Electric charge resides on a spherical surface of radius 0.3 centered at the origin with charge density specified in spherical polar coordinates by [itex]f(r,\phi, \theta) = 3 × 10^{-12} cos(\theta)[/itex].

Determine the total amount of electric charge on the sphere.

Homework Equations

Total charge, [itex]Q = \int\limits_s f dA[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]Essentially, I am confused about why I am finding the answer is zero. What is the physical explanation for this? (provided my maths is ok)

Total charge, [itex]Q = \int\limits_s f dA[/itex]

[itex]Q = \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \int\limits_0^\pi 3 × 10^{-12} cos(\theta) r^{2} \sin(\theta) d\phi d\theta[/itex]

[itex]Q = \int\limits_0^{2\pi} \int\limits_0^\pi 2.7×10^{-13} cos(\theta) \sin(\theta) d\phi d\theta[/itex]

[itex] \int\limits_0^{2\pi} d\phi = 2\pi[/itex]

[itex]Q = 5.4×10^{-13} \pi \int\limits_0^\pi cos(\theta) \sin(\theta) d\theta[/itex]

[itex]\sin(2 \theta) = 2 \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2} \sin(2 \theta) = \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)[/itex]

[itex]Q = 5.4×10^{-13} \pi \int\limits_0^\pi \frac{1}{2} \sin(2 \theta) d\theta[/itex]

[itex]Q = 5.4×10^{-13} \pi ((-\frac{1}{4} \cos(2 \pi)) - (-\frac{1}{4}\cos(0)) [/itex]

[itex]Q = 0[/itex]

I can't see an obvious mistake in my maths, but the answer doesn't seem right either.

I really appreciate any help you can give,

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(θ) changes sign at θ=pi/2. The upper hemisphere is positive, the lower one is negatively charged.

ehild said:
cos(θ) changes sign at θ=pi/2. The upper hemisphere is positive, the lower one is negatively charged.

Ohhh!

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

What is "charge on a spherical surface"?

Charge on a spherical surface refers to the distribution of electric charge on a spherical object.

How is charge distributed on a spherical surface?

Charge is distributed uniformly on a spherical surface, meaning that the amount of charge per unit area is the same at all points on the surface.

What is the electric field at a point on a spherical surface?

The electric field at a point on a spherical surface is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the surface and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point to the center of the sphere.

How do you calculate the electric field at a point on a spherical surface?

The electric field at a point on a spherical surface can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/R^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the surface, and R is the distance from the point to the center of the sphere.

What is the net electric flux through a closed surface containing a spherical object?

The net electric flux through a closed surface containing a spherical object is directly proportional to the amount of charge enclosed within the surface. This is known as Gauss's law.