Calculating Closed and Open Loop Gain for Inverting Amplifier

• Thread starter dagg3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifiers
In summary, the conversation discusses the open loop and closed loop gain of a feedback amplifier with a closed loop gain of 100 and a negative feedback of 0.8%. The open loop gain is determined to be approximately -1.01 and the closed loop gain in the case of an infinite open loop gain is discussed. The importance of considering the non-ideal properties of an operational amplifier is also mentioned.
dagg3r
hi all i got this operational amplifer question was wondering if anyone can help out

1. a feedback amplifier has a closed loop gain of 100, and the negative feedback is 0.8% of the output signal. the opamp has an open loop gain which is considerable less then the ideal value of infinity.
a) what is the open loop gain
b) what would the closed loop gain be if the opamp had an infinite open loop gain

ok for this question i assume this is an inverting amplifier so i know these formulas
A (gain for closed loop) = Vout/ Vin = -RF / Rin
A (gain for open loop) = Vout / (V1 - v2)
i am guessing these steps hope it is right
we know closed loop gain = 100 hence
100 = -RF / RIN
and i know -RF=0.8/100 * Vout
i know RF=-100 and RIn=1
100 = (0.8/100) * Vout
Vout = 12500 V
Vin = 125 V

so open loop gain = 12500 / (125 - 12500)
= -1.01 ?

b) no idea about this, would it be 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong here, but if the O.L. gain of the Op-Amp is finite then I don't think that the formula

[tex]A_{\mbox{C.L.}}=\frac{R_{f}}{R_{in}}[/tex]

applies anymore. You need to do some analysis of the amp without the assumption of an extremely large O.L. gain, that's how you arrive A=-Rf/Ri. Without that assumption, A=-Rf/Ri no longer holds good. Most electronics books probably give an analysis of the non-ideal inverting configuration.

Last edited:
Open loop gain of Op-Amps (in a feedback configuration) are constant but only at low frequencies. As you increase in frequency, its gain attenuates.. For example see Figure 5 on this http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/741/741.html . If you could look at a datasheet for the Op-Amp in this question, you can read off its open loop gain. From the information given in your question, I don't see how you can calculate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Closed and Open Loop Gain for Inverting Amplifier

1. What is an amplifier?

An amplifier is an electronic device that increases the amplitude or strength of a signal. It takes a weak input signal and produces a larger output signal, thus amplifying the original signal.

2. How do amplifiers work?

Amplifiers work by using transistors or other active devices to increase the voltage or current of a signal. The input signal is fed into the amplifier's circuitry and then amplified to produce a larger output signal.

3. What is the role of maths in designing amplifiers?

Maths plays a crucial role in the design of amplifiers. It is used to calculate the gain, bandwidth, and other parameters of the amplifier. Maths is also used to analyze the circuit and determine the best components to use for optimal performance.

4. How does feedback affect amplifier performance?

Feedback is a technique used in amplifiers to improve performance. It involves feeding a portion of the output signal back to the input, which can reduce distortion and increase stability. Maths is used to determine the amount and type of feedback to use for optimal performance.

5. What are the different types of amplifiers?

There are several types of amplifiers, including voltage amplifiers, current amplifiers, operational amplifiers, and differential amplifiers. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses, but they all work on the same principle of increasing the strength of a signal.