Calculating Coefficient of Friction with Practical Investigation Results

In summary, the rubber band was used to launch a puck on a horizontal floor. The force was measured and it was found to be linear. The coefficient of friction was calculated and it was found to be linear.
Adem
So I've done a practical investigation.
Pretty much I used a elastic band to launch a puck on a horizontal floor. I have measured the extension and force for the elastic band, and the extension and stopping distance for the puck on two different surfaces.
How do I calculate the coefficient of friction?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adem said:
How do I calculate the coefficient of friction?
Actually, there may be two of those: one as long as it's not moving and one if it is (the latter is usually smaller).
Did you calibrate your rubber band ? Is it a bit linear (like an ideal spring: extension = k ##\times## force) ?

Are you familiar with friction coefficient formulas like ##F_{\rm friction} = \mu F_{\rm normal} = \mu\, mg ## ?

Yeah, it's linear.

I have a force vs ext for the band, but don't have the force applied when I used it for the puck being launched.

You must calibrate the band for obtain k.

Then you need to suposse that all elastic energy of the band is transferred to the puck in the form of kinetic energy. Then: $$\frac 1 2 k·x^2= \frac 1 2 m·v_0^2$$

Then you can calculate the aceleration $$0=v_0^2+2·a·distance$$

During the mouvement there are only friction force, then: $$\mu·m·g=m·a$$
(mass cancel)
I don't know if there are some wrong in this procedure, please say me if this procedure is not correct. Sorry for my English.

Likes Adem
Even in a moore compact way: Eband=Wfriction $$\frac 1 2 k·x^2=\mu·m·g·distance$$

Likes sophiecentaur and Adem
Thanks guys!

Static friction can be easily found with an inclined plane. (you can look this up) With a bit of care, you can also use an inclined plane to find the limiting slope that will keep the puck moving when nudged, which will give you the dynamic friction. (Good as a cross check if nothing else.)

The k of a rubber band can vary a lot over the full range of extensions. You tend to get a very S shaped curve so you need to operate over a range of expansions that doesn't involve the section where the band goes 'stiff' if you want an accurate value of the Kinetic Energy that it gives the puck. With a bit of care, you can also make sure that the band is not operating with low extension. (A restraining loop of thread, for instance).

Likes Adem

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. It describes how difficult it is to move an object over a surface.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This can be done by measuring the force and weight in the same units, such as kilograms or pounds.

3. What is a practical investigation for calculating the coefficient of friction?

A practical investigation for calculating the coefficient of friction involves measuring the weight of an object and the force required to move it over a surface. This can be done using a spring scale or force meter.

4. How do you interpret the results of a practical investigation for calculating the coefficient of friction?

The results of a practical investigation for calculating the coefficient of friction will give you a numerical value for the coefficient. This value can range from 0 to 1, with a lower value indicating a smoother surface and a higher value indicating a rougher surface.

5. What are some factors that can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by factors such as the texture and surface roughness of the two objects in contact, the amount of force applied, and the presence of lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.