Calculating Current in Moving Rods: Exploring the Blv Rule and Faraday's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a rod moving in a magnetic field and calculating the current at the point where the rods touch. The equations used include I=Emf/R and Emf=-dA/dt*B, and the person suggests checking the area of a triangle as a function of time and using the Blv rule instead of Faraday for moving media. They also advise using LaTeX for writing equations instead of posting photos. The calculations initially turned out to be incorrect.
fizzyfiz
Homework Statement
The rod is moving on a second rod with speed of v in the magnetic field perpendicular to rod. I know its resistance per meter. I am expected to omit megnetic field created by the current and resistance at the point where rods touch each other and calculate current. I presented the situation with drawing ( the same as in task). My calculations occured to be wrong. Why?
Relevant Equations
I=Emf/R
Homework Statement: The rod is moving on a second rod with speed of v in the magnetic field perpendicular to rod. I know its resistance per meter. I am expected to omit megnetic field created by the current and resistance at the point where rods touch each other and calculate current. I presented the situation with drawing ( the same as in task). My calculations occurred to be wrong. Why?
Homework Equations: I=Emf/R

Emf=-dA/dt*B

Attachments

• 20191010_120838.jpg
    20191010_120838.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20191010_120913.jpg
    20191010_120913.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20191010_120859.jpg
    20191010_120859.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20191010_120919.jpg
    20191010_120919.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20191010_120848.jpg
    20191010_120848.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 118
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the area of the triangle as a function of time. Also, try using LaTeX for writing your equations instead of posting photos some of which are sideways.

Last edited:
In moving media such as your rod it's generally best to use the Blv rule rather than Faraday, although in this case it's OK to do so.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by varying the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 19th century.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works based on Faraday's law of induction, which states that when a conductor moves through a magnetic field, a voltage is induced in the conductor. This voltage is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field and the length of the conductor.

What are the applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has various applications in everyday life, such as in electric generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging technology and electromagnetic shielding.

What are the factors that affect electromagnetic induction?

The factors that affect electromagnetic induction include the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the conductor. The material and shape of the conductor can also affect induction.

What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism refers to the interaction between electric charges and magnetic fields, while electromagnetic induction specifically refers to the generation of an electric current in a conductor by a changing magnetic field. In other words, electromagnetic induction is a specific application of the broader concept of electromagnetism.