Calculating current with and without internal resistance

In summary,In this conversation, the author is trying to solve for the direction of the current in a circuit with three resistors. He is using the node law, but is having difficulty solving for the current through each resistor. If he had more resistors in the circuit, he would have a harder time solving for the current.
ddobre

Homework Statement

KqTs2Gk.jpg

Calculate the magnitudes and directions of the currents in each of the 3 resistors in the circuit above, if...
(a) ...both batteries have zero internal resistance.
(b) ...each battery has an internal resistance of 1.0 Ω.

Homework Equations

I1 = I2 + I3 (Node Law)

The Attempt at a Solution

Y4q2Goy.jpg

I tried to use the node law to define the direction of the current, and for part a) I got I3 = .1452A,
I1 = .06398A, and I2 = .08122A. I'm not sure if this is correct but this is how I tried to solve part a). For part b), since the batteries now have internal resistance, I added two 1 ohm resistors to the circuit, on the left and right of the node at the top, (next to the negative terminals of the batteries). But, I had issues trying to solve the series of equations with 5 resistors in the circuit. I tried to solve for each anyway, but with poor results, (I couldn't narrow down one current). I would try to solve with an Req, but I need the current through each resistor. Any advice?

Attachments

• KqTs2Gk.jpg
    KqTs2Gk.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Y4q2Goy.jpg
    Y4q2Goy.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
ddobre said:
I tried to use the node law to define the direction of the current
Don't use the node law to define directions. Just define. You are free to choose directions.

If your choise - as for an arrow direction - turns out to be opposite to the physical positive current direction, the resulting current will just be negative.

You can use the KVL law, as you have indicated, and you have two "windows" ( left and right ) that can be used as circular current paths.

If you choose the left and right current path to be counter clockwise, you will get the KVL equation for the left window:

12V - Ileft*35Ω - Ileft*48Ω + Iright*48Ω = 0

Now, write the equation as for the right window and calculate Ileft and Iright.

Ileft and Iright are virtual currents, not physical

The physical currents are calculated:

I1 = Ileft
I3 = Ileft - Iright
I2 = -Iright

You may alternatively use KCL to calculate node voltages, then use Ohms law to calculate currents.

ddobre said:
But, I had issues trying to solve the series of equations with 5 resistors in the circuit. I tried to solve for each anyway, but with poor results, (I couldn't narrow down one current). I would try to solve with an Req, but I need the current through each resistor. Any advice?
So, will the current through the new resistors be different, in the new circuit, from the current through the exiting resistors that they are in series with. In other words, why are you worrying about 5 resistors when you only have 3?

Hesch said:
Don't use the node law to define directions. Just define. You are free to choose directions.

If your choise - as for an arrow direction - turns out to be opposite to the physical positive current direction, the resulting current will just be negative.

You can use the KVL law, as you have indicated, and you have two "windows" ( left and right ) that can be used as circular current paths.

If you choose the left and right current path to be counter clockwise, you will get the KVL equation for the left window:

12V - Ileft*35Ω - Ileft*48Ω + Iright*48Ω = 0

Now, write the equation as for the right window and calculate Ileft and Iright.

Ileft and Iright are virtual currents, not physical

The physical currents are calculated:

I1 = Ileft
I3 = Ileft - Iright
I2 = -Iright

You may alternatively use KCL to calculate node voltages, then use Ohms law to calculate currents.

Would the right loop be: 9V - 25Iright-48Iright+48Ileft = 0

phinds said:
So, will the current through the new resistors be different, in the new circuit, from the current through the exiting resistors that they are in series with. In other words, why are you worrying about 5 resistors when you only have 3?
No, current should remain the same since the resistors are in series with each other

ddobre said:
Would the right loop be: 9V - 25Iright-48Iright+48Ileft = 0

Hesch said:
If you choose the left and right current path to be counter clockwise,

You have chosen the right circular current path to be clockwise, and that's ok except +48Ileft then becomes -48Ileft.

The reason why you have to choose directions ( arrows ) before setting up equations, is that you must respect your chosen directions! Otherwise you will get a wrong result.

ddobre said:
No, current should remain the same since the resistors are in series with each other

Of course the currents through two resistors in series will be the same, but this common current will change, when an inner resistance in the battery is inserted.

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the inherent resistance present within a power source, such as a battery, that impedes the flow of current. It is caused by the physical properties of the materials used in the power source and can vary depending on factors such as temperature and age.

2. Why is it important to consider internal resistance when calculating current?

Internal resistance affects the voltage and current output of a power source. When a circuit is connected to a power source, the internal resistance causes a drop in voltage, resulting in a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit. It is important to consider this in calculations to ensure accurate results.

3. How do you calculate current with internal resistance?

To calculate current with internal resistance, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). However, in this case, the total resistance would be the sum of the internal resistance (r) and the external resistance (R) in the circuit. Therefore, the formula would be I = V/(r+R).

4. How do you calculate current without internal resistance?

To calculate current without internal resistance, you can simply use Ohm's law, where the total resistance in the circuit is equal to just the external resistance (R). Therefore, the formula would be I = V/R.

5. How does internal resistance affect the overall performance of a circuit?

Internal resistance can have a significant impact on the overall performance of a circuit. It can cause a decrease in voltage, which in turn, can result in a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit. This can lead to a decrease in the power output of the circuit and affect its efficiency.