Double Integral Calculation with Variable Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the double integral over a finite area in the xy-plane, with given boundaries, using a variable substitution method. The suggested substitution is u = x/y and v = 2x + y, and the use of Jacobian is mentioned as a possible solution. The conversation also mentions trying to keep y as the other variable instead of substituting it completely.
physmatics

Homework Statement

Calculate the double integral over D
[tex]\int\int x*ln(2x + y)/y^3 dx dy[/tex]
D is the finite area in the xy-plane within the straight lines
[tex]2x + y = 1[/tex]
[tex]2x + y = 3[/tex]
[tex]x = y[/tex]
[tex]x = 2y[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was obvious to make the variable substitution
[tex]u = x/y
v = 2x + y[/tex]
which gives us the boundaries
[tex]1 \leq u \leq 2
1 \leq v \leq 3[/tex]
So far so good. Now, the problem is that I can't really substitute the whole integral. I thought this would solve itself by the Jacobian, but it turns out to be
[tex]y^2/2x + y[/tex]
which I really don't need.
Should I really use this variable substitution? I don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi physmatics! :smile:

have you tried just substituting v = 2x + y, and keeping y as the other variable?

I wrote the Jacobian as a fraction instead, it turned out to work perfectly :)
Should have looked closer at it!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral used in calculus to find the volume under a surface in a 3D space. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How do you calculate a double integral?

To calculate a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use either the rectangular or polar form of the double integral formula to evaluate the integral. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the limits of integration.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in a 2D space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in a 3D space. In other words, a single integral has one variable, while a double integral has two variables.

4. When is a double integral used?

A double integral is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate volumes, moments, and probabilities. It is also used in multivariable calculus to solve optimization problems and to find the center of mass for irregularly shaped objects.

5. What is the importance of calculating a double integral?

Calculating a double integral allows us to find the volume under a surface in a 3D space, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps us understand the relationships between two variables and can be used to solve real-world problems and optimize processes.