Solving Derivatives: A Puzzling Experience

In summary: The given equation is incorrect and should be dy = 2x dx. The correct equation would be y' = x^2. The statement "x=0 always no matter what" is incorrect because x is a variable and can take on different values depending on the given function. The equation y' = x^2 does not represent a line, it represents a parabola.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

I was messing around online when I found this: [itex]\frac{dy}{2}[/itex] = 2x. This was derived from the function y = x2. I had never really seen anything like this before. When I solved for "dy," I got 4x. However, for example, when x changes from 0 to 2, the y changes from 0 to 4. Interestingly enough, "dy" is represented as being 4x and not just 4. Can someone point out what I did wrong?

Homework Equations

y = x2
[itex]\frac{dy}{2}[/itex] = 2x

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty much explained in the "problem statement" by accident.

Physics news on Phys.org
You find a lot of things on the internet. Shockingly, not all of them are true.

SteamKing said:
You find a lot of things on the internet. Shockingly, not all of them are true.

That is true without a doubt! lol. How would I go about solving something like this though? I am given delta x and the derivative and have to find delta y. It all seems very interesting.

You wouldn't. The equation is meaningless. You cannot have a "dy" without a corresponding "dx". In terms of "non-standard analysis", we would say that the left side of the equation is an infinitesmal while the right side is not. That can't happen.

Since you say "This was derived from the function [itex]y = x^2[/itex]" I suspect that it was supposed to be
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= x^2[/tex]

vanmaiden said:

Homework Statement

I was messing around online when I found this: [itex]\frac{dy}{2}[/itex] = 2x. This was derived from the function y = x2. I had never really seen anything like this before. When I solved for "dy," I got 4x. However, for example, when x changes from 0 to 2, the y changes from 0 to 4. Interestingly enough, "dy" is represented as being 4x and not just 4. Can someone point out what I did wrong?

Homework Equations

y = x2
The equation above should be dy = 2x dx
vanmaiden said:

vanmaiden said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

y = x2

Here the point is, in my personal opinion

dy = 4*x

x is a variable but as the problem ( lamely presented ) offers

dy=0

and

thus
x=4*0

x=0 alwyas no matter what

Either wrongly presented or gives us the line equation

x = 0

stallionx said:

dy = 4*x

dy=0

and

thus
x=4*0

x = 0

Thank you

vanmaiden said:
Thank you

You are quite Welcome :)

stallionx said:

dy = 4*x
As HallsOfIvy already pointed out, this equation is meaningless, so there is not much point in analyzing it further.
stallionx said:

dy=0

and

thus
x=4*0

x = 0

1. What are derivatives and why are they important in science?

Derivatives are an important mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function. They are commonly used in science to model and analyze the behavior of various systems and processes.

2. How do you solve derivatives?

To solve a derivative, you must take the derivative of a function using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. This involves finding the slope of the tangent line to the function at a given point.

3. What are the common challenges in solving derivatives?

Some common challenges in solving derivatives include identifying the correct rule to use, dealing with complex functions or expressions, and correctly differentiating variables and constants.

4. Can you give an example of solving a derivative?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = x^2 + 3x. To find the derivative f'(x), we would first use the power rule to get 2x + 3. This would be the slope of the tangent line at any point on the function.

5. How can understanding derivatives be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding derivatives can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, determining the rate of change in a chemical reaction, and predicting the growth or decay of biological populations.