Capacitor with uniform space charge between them

In summary: EA = Qenc/e, Qenc = A*g + charge inside my box, which i can't seem to find, since i have no idea how all the charge will redistribute, I'm guessing some will go onto the plates, or maybe they will redistrubute so as to create an opposing field of equal magnitude to the external field......
rohanlol7

Homework Statement

2 large plates are separated by a distance d and a space charge of uniform charge density p is placed between them and a potential difference V is applied across the plates. Find the electric field stength at a distance x fromt the positive plate
The answer is -V/d +p(x-2d)/2e ( e = epsiolon0)

Homework Equations

gauss law

The Attempt at a Solution

using gauss law:
EA = Qenc/e, Qenc = A*g + charge inside my box, which i can't seem to find, since i have no idea how all the charge will redistribute, I'm guessing some will go onto the plates, or maybe they will redistrubute so as to create an opposing field of equal magnitude to the external field...

Physics news on Phys.org
rohanlol7 said:
... since i have no idea how all the charge will redistribute ...
Suppose the charges are fixed and do not redistribute. What would your answer be in that case?

kuruman said:
Suppose the charges are fixed and do not redistribute. What would your answer be in that case?
-V/d + px/e

rohanlol7 said:
px/e
How did you find this? DId you consider the electric flux through both sides of the Gaussian surface?

kuruman said:
kuruman said:
How did you find this? DId you consider the electric flux through both sides of the Gaussian surface?
no i didn't. So if i try and consider this, does is go like this ? the E field going from the positive plate will be -V/2d + px/e and through the left that should give -V/2d -p(d-x)/e and adding those two would give -V/d + pd/e ?

You have to be careful here. Suppose you only have the space charge. The electric field at a point equidistant from the two ends must be zero because you have as much charge on the left side as on the right. Therefore, whatever expression you find for the space charge electric field contribution alone must give zero at x = d/2. Do you agree?

kuruman said:
You have to be careful here. Suppose you only have the space charge. The electric field at a point equidistant from the two ends must be zero because you have as much charge on the left side as on the right. Therefore, whatever expression you find for the space charge electric field contribution alone must give zero at x = d/2. Do you agree?
yes i definitely do agree, i did realize that if its at a point x then a further distance of x on the other side will cancel that E field, however I'm not sure how to go around formulating that properly mathematically properly

Consider a Gaussian surface with one edge at d/2. Call that x = 0 (temporarily). The other edge of the surface is at x to its right. Use Gauss's law to find the field through the surface at x. Move the origin to the zero that the problem has defined by transforming x → x - d/2.

Related to Capacitor with uniform space charge between them

1. What is a capacitor with uniform space charge?

A capacitor with uniform space charge refers to a type of capacitor where there is a consistent distribution of electric charge between the two conductive plates. This charge creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

2. How does a capacitor with uniform space charge work?

In a capacitor with uniform space charge, the positively charged plate attracts negative charges from the surrounding environment, while the negatively charged plate attracts positive charges. This creates a buildup of charge between the two plates, creating an electric field. The capacitor can then store energy in the form of this electric field.

3. What is the significance of a uniform space charge in a capacitor?

The uniform space charge in a capacitor allows for a consistent electric field between the plates, which is important for storing energy. Without a uniform charge, the electric field would be uneven, reducing the efficiency of the capacitor.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect a capacitor with uniform space charge?

The distance between the plates, also known as the plate separation, affects the capacitance of the capacitor. A smaller plate separation results in a larger electric field and therefore a higher capacitance. However, too small of a plate separation can lead to breakdown of the capacitor.

5. What are some common applications of capacitors with uniform space charge?

Capacitors with uniform space charge have many practical applications, including in electronic circuits, power supplies, and energy storage systems. They are also used in filters, timers, and sensors. Additionally, capacitors with uniform space charge play a crucial role in energy storage for renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power.