Calculating electric fields due to continuous charge distributions

In summary, the author is asking why the electric field at the origin is only 1.5x the magnitude of the electric field at the point of charge distribution, and suggests that the unit of electric potential is not the correct unit for the calculation.
al_famky
calculating electric fields due to continuous charge distributions?

a question I came across doing some electric field questions, and the answer was really confusing.

Homework Statement

Charge is distributed along a linear semicircular rod with a linear charge density λ as in picture attatched. Calculate the electric field at the origin

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first question, the magnitude of E was calculated with dE=[itex]\frac{adθλ}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}a}[/itex], but why is there only one "a" in the denominator, not [itex]a^{2}[/itex]? The final result was this equation [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\phi}_{-\phi}[/itex][itex]\frac{λcosθdθ}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{λsin\phi}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex] which makes sense only if the "a" was dropped.
Thanks to anyone who'd be willing to explain the answers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you forget to attach the picture? Maybe I'm just stupid and don't know how to find it. I would want to make sure I understand the question correctly. The integral in your "attempt" goes from [itex]-\phi[/itex] to [itex]+\phi[/itex]. That makes me think that the rod is only a semicircle when [itex]\phi = \pi / 2[/itex]. I'm guessing that's why it's called "semicircular" rather than "a semicircle". Is that correct?

Other than that, you're absolutely correct. It should be [itex]a^2[/itex] in the denominator of [itex]dE[/itex] because otherwise the units are not even correct. As it is, the answer you've quoted has units of charge per unit length, which is the unit of electric potential, not electric field.

Finally, I'm assuming you understand where the factor of [itex]cos\theta[/itex] in the integral comes from since you didn't ask about it specifically.

my apologies, I thought i did upload the picture.
But you got the gist of the problem from the without the picture anyways.
Unit check, the fundamental approach to going over problems---why didn't I think of that?
I do understand the cosθ, thanks for asking

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Attachments

• 捕获.PNG
    捕获.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 507

1. What is a continuous charge distribution?

A continuous charge distribution is a distribution of electric charges over a given space, where the charges are spread out and not confined to a single point. This type of distribution is different from a discrete charge distribution, where the electric charges are located at specific points.

2. How do you calculate electric fields due to continuous charge distributions?

To calculate the electric field due to a continuous charge distribution, you can use the formula E = k∫dq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, ∫dq represents the sum of all the infinitesimal charges in the distribution, and r is the distance between the infinitesimal charge and the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charged object in an electric field, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged object at a particular point in an electric field. In other words, electric field describes the strength and direction of the force, while electric potential describes the strength of the electric field at a particular point.

4. How does the distance from a charge affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law, which is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism.

5. Can you have a negative electric field?

Yes, electric fields can be negative. A negative electric field indicates that the field is pointing in the opposite direction to a positive test charge, meaning that a positive charge would experience a force in the opposite direction. This can occur when the source of the electric field is a negative charge or when the direction of the electric field is defined as opposite to the direction of the force on a positive test charge.