Electric field by continuous charge distributions.

In summary, the author of the book "Electricity and Magnetism" explains that the electric field just outside a spherical shell is ##4\pi \sigma##, on it (meaning at the surface of the shell) is ##4\pi r_0^2\sigma##, inside is ##0##, and outside is ##Q/R^2##. The derivations for inside and outside are shown, but there is confusion about the derivation for "on it", which refers to the charge ##Q## that is on the surface of the shell. After further clarification, it is determined that the charge on the surface is ##4\pi r_0^2\sigma##, not the electric field.
Buffu
While reading the book, Electricity and magnetism, the author says that electric field just outside a spherical shell is ##4\pi \sigma##, on it ##4\pi\sigma r_0^2## ,inside is ##0## and outside is ##Q/R^2##.

My derivations :-

For inside,

##E\Delta S = 4\pi Q = 0## since ##Q = 0##.

For outside,

##E \Delta S = 4 \pi {Q} \iff E \cdot 4 \pi R^2= 4 \pi {Q} ##

For just outside,

##E \cdot (4\pi r_0^2) = 4\pi \sigma (4\pi r_0^2)##.

But I am unable to derive the one for "on it", any suggestions what should I do ?

So far I get,

##E \cdot (\Delta S) = 4\pi (\sigma 4\pi r_0^2)##.

What should be ##\Delta S## ?

Note for future readers :-

The charge is ##4\pi\sigma r_0^2## not the Field. I read it incorrectly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the author is using cgs units, where ## E=Q/r^2 ##. Meanwhile "on it", refers to the charge ## Q ## that is "on it", ## Q=(4 \pi r_o^2) \sigma ##. ## \\ ## Editing... Additionally ## E=4 \pi \sigma ## at ## r=r_o ## (i.e. ## r ## just slightly greater than ## r_o ##.)

Likes Buffu
Charles Link said:
It looks like the author is using cgs units, where ## E=Q/r^2 ##. Meaning "on it", refers to the charge ## Q=(4 \pi r_o^2) \sigma ##. Editing... ## E=4 \pi \sigma ## at ## r=r_o ## (i.e. ## r ## just slightly greater than ## r_o ##.)

Yes you are correct. It my mistake, he meant charge on it is ##4\pi r^2_0\sigma## not the electric field.

Thanks and sorry for this useless question :((.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electric charge and exerts a force on other charges within its vicinity.

2. How is the electric field created by a continuous charge distribution calculated?

The electric field at any point in space due to a continuous charge distribution can be calculated by dividing the total charge distribution into small elements and summing up the contribution of each element to the electric field at the desired point.

3. What is the difference between a continuous charge distribution and a point charge?

A continuous charge distribution refers to a system of charges that are spread out over a certain region, while a point charge is a single, concentrated charge at a specific location. This means that the electric field created by a continuous charge distribution can vary at different points, while the electric field created by a point charge is uniform at all points.

4. Can the electric field created by a continuous charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the electric field created by a continuous charge distribution can be negative. This occurs when the charges in the distribution have opposite signs, causing the electric field vectors to point in opposite directions.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the electric field created by continuous charge distributions?

Understanding the electric field created by continuous charge distributions is crucial in many fields of science and technology. It is used in the design of electrical devices, such as capacitors and electric motors, and in the study of electromagnetic phenomena, such as light and radio waves. It also plays a key role in fields like electrochemistry and particle physics.