Calculating electric fields through integration

In summary, the electric field near a charged disk can be calculated by integration, but different websites provide different derivations with different steps. If you are not familiar with the steps involved, you may need to look for more detailed information.
EpiGen
Can anyone find a website that shows you how to calculate the electric field by integration for a evenly distributed disk and a hollow ring? I tried figuring it out myself but all the websites I found skipped many steps on the math. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
EpiGen said:
Can anyone find a website that shows you how to calculate the electric field by integration for a evenly distributed disk and a hollow ring? I tried figuring it out myself but all the websites I found skipped many steps on the math. Thanks!

Are you looking for the "on-axis" solution, or a solution for any point in space?

Oh sorry on axis. Anything that would help me understand it would be greatly appreciated!

EpiGen said:
Oh sorry on axis. Anything that would help me understand it would be greatly appreciated!

Well there are many links, for example.

http://planetphysics.org/encyclopedia/ElectricFieldOfAChargedDisk.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elelin.html

http://www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/PHY204/tsl36.pdf

I'm guessing you've searched and seen these or similar links. I suppose these do skip some steps, but if you look at different links, you may be able to piece the whole thing together.

If not, perhaps you can clarify which parts of these derivations are not detailed enough.

I don't know if this will be useful, but I can provide my derivation of the disc solution that takes a slightly different approach by calculating the answer for a disk of finite thickness (rather than infinitely thin as is usually done). After doing this, I take the limit as the thickness goes to zero to get to the usual answer. I once worked out this derivation for a different question (related to the charged disk) that came up in another forum. I figure I should post it in case one of your points of confusion is the concept of an infinitely thin disk, which is somewhat unrealistic. However, if this is not your point of confusion and if this creates any confusion whatsoever, then just ignore it and focus on the textbook approach.

Attachments

• Charged Disc1.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Charged Disc2.pdf
    12.2 KB · Views: 308

There are many resources available online that can help you calculate the electric field through integration for an evenly distributed disk and a hollow ring. Some websites may skip steps in the math because they assume a certain level of knowledge in their audience. However, there are also websites that provide step-by-step explanations and examples for calculating electric fields through integration. I recommend checking out websites such as Khan Academy, HyperPhysics, and Physics Classroom for comprehensive tutorials on this topic. Additionally, textbooks and academic journals may also provide detailed explanations and examples for calculating electric fields through integration. It is important to refer to reliable and credible sources when conducting scientific calculations.

1. How do you calculate an electric field through integration?

The electric field at a point is calculated by integrating the contributions from all the charges in the system. The formula for electric field due to a point charge is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the electric field is being calculated. For more complex systems with multiple charges, the electric field is calculated by breaking the system into small parts and integrating the contributions from each part.

2. What is the significance of using integration to calculate electric fields?

Integration allows us to take into account the contributions from all the charges in a system and calculate the resulting electric field at a point. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields in complex systems and predicting the movement of charged particles.

3. Can you explain the process of integrating to calculate electric fields with an example?

Sure, let's take the example of a system with two point charges, Q1 and Q2, located at positions r1 and r2 respectively. The electric field at a point P, located at position r, can be calculated by breaking the system into small parts, dQ1 and dQ2, located at positions r'1 and r'2 respectively. The contribution of each small part to the electric field at point P is calculated using the formula E = k*dQ/r'^2, where r' is the distance from the small part to the point P. Then, we integrate the contributions from all the small parts to get the total electric field at point P, E = k*∫(dQ1/r'^2 + dQ2/r'^2). This process can be extended to more complex systems with multiple charges.

4. What are some common challenges when using integration to calculate electric fields?

One of the main challenges is dealing with systems with non-uniform charge distributions, where the electric field cannot be easily broken down into small parts. In such cases, more advanced mathematical techniques, such as numerical integration, may be required. Another challenge is accurately taking into account all the charges in the system, as even small errors can significantly affect the calculated electric field.

5. How is the concept of integration used in other areas of physics?

Integration is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many other areas, such as calculating the gravitational field, magnetic field, and fluid flow. It is also used in many other branches of science, such as engineering, economics, and statistics, to analyze and solve complex problems.