Calculating Equivalent Capacitance for C1, C2 & C3

In summary, to make the terminal pairs equivalent, you will need to solve for the values of C1, C2, and C3 by setting up and solving 3 simultaneous equations. This involves finding the capacitances for the left and right circuits and then matching them to the given values. Once you have the values for the three capacitors, the terminal pairs will be equivalent.
magnifik
for what values of C1, C2, and C3 make the terminal pairs equivalent?

vhz6ll.png

i know the 2f and 1f capacitance are in series:
(1*2)/(1+2) = 2/3

and i know the 1/2 f is parallel to the preceding capacitors:
2/3 + 1/2 = 7/6

but i am unsure where to go from here...
any help would be appreciated. thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
magnifik said:
for what values of C1, C2, and C3 make the terminal pairs equivalent?

vhz6ll.png

i know the 2f and 1f capacitance are in series:
(1*2)/(1+2) = 2/3

and i know the 1/2 f is parallel to the preceding capacitors:
2/3 + 1/2 = 7/6

but i am unsure where to go from here...
any help would be appreciated. thx.

I believe you will need to solve 3 simultaneous equations (no big deal). The capacitances have to be equal for the two circuits, as seen at the left and right ports, and across the top leg.

So if you call the bottom rail Ground, then you have to find C1, C2, C3, so that you match the left circuit's capacitances:

C(left to ground)
C(right to ground)
C(left to right)

You've already found the C(left to right) that needs to be matched. Calculate the other two capacitances for the left circuit, and then write the equations for the capacitances of the right circuit, and solve for the values of C1, C2, C3.

from what you said...

C(left to ground) = 1*2/(1+2) = 2/3
C(right to ground) = 1+1 = 2
C(left to right) = 7/6

i'm a little confused on what you're saying should be the last step

Related to Calculating Equivalent Capacitance for C1, C2 & C3

1. What is capacitance and why is it important?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge. It is important in many electrical and electronic systems as it affects the behavior and performance of these systems.

2. How do I calculate the equivalent capacitance of a circuit with multiple capacitors?

To calculate the equivalent capacitance, you can use the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ..., where C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values of each capacitor. You can also use the parallel and series combination formulas for capacitors depending on the circuit configuration.

3. What is the significance of equivalent capacitance in a circuit?

The equivalent capacitance represents the total capacitance of a circuit with multiple capacitors. This value is important in determining the overall behavior of the circuit, such as the charge and voltage distribution.

4. Can the equivalent capacitance be greater than the capacitance of any individual capacitor in the circuit?

Yes, in certain circuit configurations, the equivalent capacitance can be greater than the capacitance of any individual capacitor. This is because the effective capacitance of capacitors in series is less than the individual capacitance, while in parallel it is greater.

5. How does the placement of capacitors in a circuit affect the equivalent capacitance?

The placement of capacitors in a circuit can affect the equivalent capacitance. When capacitors are connected in series, the equivalent capacitance decreases, while it increases when connected in parallel. Additionally, the distance between capacitors and other elements in the circuit can also affect the equivalent capacitance.