Calculating Force Applied to Box with Friction Coefficient \mu

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces applied to a box being pulled towards the East on a surface with friction. The question arises about the normal force, with the conclusion being that there should be no net force on the box in the vertical direction.
Angello90
Hi guys,

I got this thought in my head.

If I have a box of mass x, being pulled towards East and the angle [tex]\theta[/tex],
then force applied to the box in order to move it on the surface with friction coefficient [tex]\mu[/tex] has to be in such a way:

attachment.php?attachmentid=25494&stc=1&d=1272632393.jpg

My question is... wouldn't N be:

attachment.php?attachmentid=25496&stc=1&d=1272632659.jpg

Or, N would be as usual W but in opposite direction? The drawing shows all the forces on the box:

Cheers and thanks for the thought

attachment.php?attachmentid=25495&stc=1&d=1272632393.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 445
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 587
Physics news on Phys.org
Angello90 said:
My question is... wouldn't N be:

attachment.php?attachmentid=25496&stc=1&d=1272632659.jpg
You got it.

Or, N would be as usual W but in opposite direction?
Nope. You were right the first time. The key is that there must be no net force on the box in the vertical direction.

Ok thanks a mil! I was bit confused

Related to Calculating Force Applied to Box with Friction Coefficient \mu

1. How do you calculate the force applied to a box with a given friction coefficient?

To calculate the force applied to a box with a friction coefficient, you can use the formula F = μN, where F is the force applied, μ is the friction coefficient, and N is the normal force exerted on the box.

2. What is the normal force and how is it related to calculating force with friction coefficient?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the context of calculating force with friction coefficient, it is important because it is used in the formula F = μN. The normal force is perpendicular to the surface and is equal to the weight of the object in most cases.

3. Can the friction coefficient affect the amount of force required to move a box?

Yes, the friction coefficient can significantly affect the amount of force required to move a box. A higher friction coefficient means that more force is needed to overcome the resistance of the surface and move the box.

4. How does the mass of the box impact the calculation of force with friction coefficient?

The mass of the box does not directly impact the calculation of force with friction coefficient. However, it does affect the normal force exerted on the box, which is used in the formula F = μN. Therefore, a heavier box will require a greater normal force and thus a greater force to overcome the friction and move the box.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculation of force with friction coefficient?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the calculation of force with friction coefficient. These include the roughness of the surface, the shape and size of the box, and any external forces acting on the box. Additionally, the type of friction (static or kinetic) can also impact the calculation.