Calculating Force Using Young's Modulus

In summary, to calculate force, use the formula ##F = \frac{AE\Delta L}{L}##. Make sure to correctly state the problem and check for misplaced decimal points to avoid errors in the calculation.
chriscarson
Homework Statement
Calculating Force when having the area .
Relevant Equations
How can you Calculate Force ?
How can you Calculate Force ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the question is specifically. We have ##\sigma = \frac{F}{A}## and ##\varepsilon = \frac{\Delta L}{L}##, along with the definition of Young's modulus, ##E = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon}##.

You can put these into one expression, namely ##E = \frac{FL}{A\Delta L}##.

Likes chriscarson
etotheipi said:
I'm note sure what the question is specifically. We have ##\sigma = \frac{F}{A}## and ##\varepsilon = \frac{\Delta L}{L}##, along with the definition of Young's modulus, ##E = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon}##.

You can put these into one expression, namely ##E = \frac{FL}{A\Delta L}##.

the question is to find the force

chriscarson said:
the question is to find the force

So are you after ##F = \frac{AE\Delta L}{L}##?

Likes chriscarson
etotheipi said:
So are you after ##F = \frac{AE\Delta L}{L}##?

well i have all those values so i can give it a shot , although our teacher give us homework that we didi nt had lesson on ,
thanks

was very close the teacher s answer was 981N mine was 9812.5N

chriscarson said:
was very close the teacher s answer was 981N mine was 9812.5N
That's what's called being out by a factor of ten. Can you find the reason for it?

Likes chriscarson
PeroK said:
That's what's called being out by a factor of ten. Can you find the reason for it?

i know you can round it to 3 significant figures but nothing about factor of ten.

chriscarson said:
i know you can round it to 3 significant figures but nothing about factor of ten.

You should post your calculation along with a statement of the problem. My guess is you've misplaced a decimal point somewhere.

Likes chriscarson
PeroK said:
You should post your calculation along with a statement of the problem. My guess is you've misplaced a decimal point somewhere.

ok it seems it s important to write the problem

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (deformation per unit length) in a material under tension or compression.

2. How do you calculate force using Young's Modulus?

To calculate force using Young's Modulus, you can use the formula F = A x E x ΔL/L, where F is the force applied, A is the cross-sectional area of the material, E is the Young's Modulus, and ΔL/L is the change in length over the original length of the material.

3. What units are used for Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as gigapascals (GPa) or megapascals (MPa).

4. How does Young's Modulus affect a material's behavior?

The higher the Young's Modulus of a material, the stiffer and more resistant it is to deformation. Materials with lower Young's Modulus, such as rubber, are more flexible and easier to deform.

5. What are some real-world applications of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is an important property in materials science and engineering. It is used to design and test structures, such as buildings, bridges, and airplanes, to ensure they can withstand the forces they will experience. It is also used in the manufacturing of products, such as car parts and medical devices, to determine the strength and durability of the materials used.