Calculating Forces in a Square Arrangement of Point Charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
dmart1990
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I've been working on this problem for a while but i am getting confused on vector directions.

Four point charges are arranged in a square with sides of 0.38m. Find the magnitude and direction of the force at each corner of the square.


Point 1=3nC Point 2= 19nC


Point 3= -6nC Point 4= -17nC

(this is what the square looks like)



I've been setting up the forces at each point using F=k q1*q2/ r^2 but I am not sure i have the arrows in the right directions and how to calculate the force coming in from the diagonal!

PLEASE HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
force on the diagonal the only thing that changes is ur "r" value, use pythagorus to find "r" in terms of directions, opposites repel, likes attract, and direction would be from the charge point of view