Calculating impact resistance of a silicone wafer

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a way to detect and indicate damage in equipment using a brittle material that breaks upon impact. The suggestion was to use a glass slide or a thin silica wafer that can be made in different thicknesses to handle different levels of impact. Options for detecting and recording the impact were also discussed, such as using accelerometers or designing a microaccelerometer system.
pmd
Wondering the best way to go about calculating the ability of a silicone wafer to withstand impact. Wanting to possibly use a small pc as a fracture barrier to indicate that a part was dropped and may potentially be damaged. Need it to handle 20G. Alternative mat'l suggestions would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't entirely understand the question - is this a wafer as in chip manufacture or just a sliver that you want to use for damage detection in a piece of equipment ?

Either way probably need to detect accelerations in three axes .

For general equipment an accelerometer system and recorder will supply all the information needed . You can buy packaged devices quite cheaply .

To design something yourself have a look at micromechanical systems and microaccelerometers . Etched in for chip wafers and some of the same ideas on larger scale for equipment . Set up to actually break for a one time detection or record the output for later analysis .

Please describe your actual requirements in more detail .

Nidum, thanks for your reply. I am not looking to record any data. I am trying find a thin, brittle material that can be used in a manner that should it be dropped, will break when the impact exceeds a predetermined level. Much like the impact sensors found on wooden crates for shipping. If the crate gets dropped accidently, the sensor 'breaks' indicating that a certain force has been exceeded. Because the parts I want to protect are much lighter, I was thinking of using silicone wafer material or something equally brittle.

Glass is what is commonly used . Microscope slide sort of thickness . Cantilever with a weight at one end is probably easiest configuration .

Breaking load for cantilever can be estimated using standard calculations . Breaking load for real components will probably show some variation around the calculated figure .

Thanks again. The thickness of a glass slide would be too thick that is why I was thinking silica wafer, it can be made very thin and varied to meet different loads. Because of other requirements, I will need to calculate a beam fixed at both ends rather than a simple cantilever perhaps find a thin rod of glass and start there. Appreciate the quick responses

Rod of glass is good - they come in many sizes .

1. How do you calculate the impact resistance of a silicone wafer?

To calculate the impact resistance of a silicone wafer, you will need to perform a drop test. This involves dropping the wafer from a certain height onto a hard surface and measuring the amount of force it can withstand before breaking. The impact resistance is then calculated by dividing the force by the area of the wafer.

2. What properties of a silicone wafer affect its impact resistance?

The thickness, composition, and purity of the silicone wafer can all affect its impact resistance. Thicker wafers tend to be more resistant to impact, while impurities or defects in the material can weaken its strength. Additionally, the type of silicone used, such as amorphous or crystalline, can also impact its resistance to impact.

3. Why is impact resistance important for silicone wafers?

Silicone wafers are used in a variety of applications, including in electronics and medical devices. These wafers are often subjected to potential impact or shock during manufacturing, transportation, and use. Knowing the impact resistance of a silicone wafer can help ensure its reliability and durability in these situations.

4. How can the results of impact resistance testing be used in the design and production of silicone wafers?

The impact resistance results can be used to inform the design and production of silicone wafers by identifying potential weaknesses or areas for improvement. For example, if a particular type of silicone wafer consistently shows low impact resistance, manufacturers may need to adjust their production processes or consider using a different type of silicone to improve the overall quality of the wafers.

5. Are there any industry standards for impact resistance testing of silicone wafers?

Yes, there are industry standards such as ASTM International's Standard Test Method for Impact Resistance of Flat, Rigid Plastic Specimens by Means of a Striker Impacted by a Falling Weight (ASTM D3763) and the International Electrotechnical Commission's Test Method for Impact Resistance of Silicon Wafers for Semiconductor Devices (IEC 61185). These standards provide guidelines for conducting impact resistance tests and interpreting the results in a consistent and reliable manner.