Calculating induced power in coil

In summary: Thanks for the info. How do I account for the frequency at which the magnetic field changes? If I were to assume that the function of B was sinusoidal, then how do I account for the amount of voltage at frequency X? It gets even a bit weirder in my case because the field is not varying from positive to negative but using a function which I made based on the graph from the simulator. Another thing I'm wondering is if the field I should be calculating is the field that is coming out of the sides of the bolt into the coil, or the field that is coming directly from the face of the magnet into the bolt? Once I can get this straightened out, I already know the information about the wire. I
Jdo300
Hi,

I'm working on making a coil and I was wondering if there are some nifty equations out there to predict how much power the coils can make under a changing magnetic field of X gauss. I am going to be using 1 inch of a 3/8" x 2.25" bolt to wind my coil onto and I will be exposing it to a 2000 gauss field from a 0.5" x 0.5" neo magnet that is placed on the end of the coil.

I used a gauss meter to measure the amount of flux coming out of the side of the bolt where I will be wrapping the wire, and it is about 320 gauss. If I could mechanically vary this field strength on the coil by ±5% (304 - 336 gauss) at frequency X, how would I determine the power output? I am planning on using 20 gauge magnet wire for the coil, which will be 1" tall, and 1.5" in diameter.

Any help/pointers would be great :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Jdo300 said:
Hi,

I'm working on making a coil and I was wondering if there are some nifty equations out there to predict how much power the coils can make under a changing magnetic field of X gauss. I am going to be using 1 inch of a 3/8" x 2.25" bolt to wind my coil onto and I will be exposing it to a 2000 gauss field from a 0.5" x 0.5" neo magnet that is placed on the end of the coil.

I used a gauss meter to measure the amount of flux coming out of the side of the bolt where I will be wrapping the wire, and it is about 320 gauss. If I could mechanically vary this field strength on the coil by ±5% (304 - 336 gauss) at frequency X, how would I determine the power output? I am planning on using 20 gauge magnet wire for the coil, which will be 1" tall, and 1.5" in diameter.
The induced voltage depends on the diameter (area) of the coil and the number of turns of the coil. The power is determined as well by the resistance of the coil. Faraday's law will give you the induced emf in the coil:

[tex]V_{induced} = \frac{d\phi}{dt} = NA\frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]

That is the potential energy per unit charge in the coil. If the coil is connected to a load, there will be energy consumed. The current will be I = V/R. The power is

[tex]P = VI = V^2/R = \frac{N^2A^2}{R}\left(\frac{dB}{dt}\right)^2[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
Hi, what units are those variables in? is B in gauss or Tesla?

Thanks,
Jason O

Jdo300 said:
Hi, what units are those variables in? is B in gauss or Tesla?
All SI units. One Tesla = 10,000 Gauss.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
All SI units. One Tesla = 10,000 Gauss.

AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. How do I account for the frequency at which the magnetic field changes? If I were to assume that the function of B was sinusoidal, then how do I account for the amount of voltage at frequency X? It gets even a bit weirder in my case because the field is not varying from positive to negative but using a function which I made based on the graph from the simulator. Another thing I'm wondering is if the field I should be calculating is the field that is coming out of the sides of the bolt into the coil, or the field that is coming directly from the face of the magnet into the bolt? Once I can get this straightened out, I already know the information about the wire. I calculated that for the dimensions of my coil, I would have about 320 turns of 20 gauge wire, which according to the wire chart is 0.093 Ohms (I changed the diameter of the coil to 1.25 in by the way).

Thanks,
Jason O

1. How is induced power calculated in a coil?

Induced power in a coil is calculated using the following formula: P = I x V, where P is the induced power, I is the current flowing through the coil, and V is the voltage across the coil.

2. What factors affect the induced power in a coil?

The induced power in a coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, the frequency of the alternating current, and the resistance of the coil.

3. How does the size of a coil impact induced power?

The size of a coil plays a significant role in determining the induced power. A larger coil with more turns will have a higher induced power compared to a smaller coil with fewer turns, assuming all other factors are constant.

4. Can the induced power in a coil be negative?

Yes, the induced power in a coil can be negative if the current and voltage are out of phase. In this case, the coil is acting as a load and is consuming power instead of producing it.

5. How can induced power in a coil be increased?

The induced power in a coil can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the strength of the magnetic field, or increasing the frequency of the alternating current. Additionally, using a material with higher conductivity for the coil can also increase the induced power.