Optimal Placement for Net Zero Electrical Force in a System of Charged Spheres

In summary: In fact, you can say something like "The distance between the third charge and the other two charges should be approximately 0.7m."In summary, the given problem involves two small spheres with charges 1.6*10^-5 C and 6.4*10^-5 C, placed 2.0m apart with the same sign. A third sphere with charge 3.0*10^-6 C is introduced and the question asks where, relative to the first two spheres, should the third sphere be placed to experience no net electrical force. Using Coulomb's Law, the net force is set equal to zero and an equation is derived to solve for the distance between the third charge and the other two charges.
Quantum Fizzics

Homework Statement

Two small spheres with charges 1.6*10^-5 C & 6.4*10^-5 C, are 2.0m apart. The charges have the same sign. Where, relative to these two spheres, should a third sphere, of opposite charge 3.0*10^-6 C, be placed if the third sphere is to experience no net electrical force? Do we really need to know the charge or sign of the third object?
Given: q1 =1.6*10^-5 C
q2 = 6.4*10^-5 C
q3 = 3.0*10^-6 C

Homework Equations

F= kq1q2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F31 = kq3q1/d^2
= 9x10^9*3.0x10^-6*1.6x10^-5/d^2

9x10^9*3.0x10^-6*1.6x10^-5 = d^2
0.657267069m= d

What I want to know is how will I know? If this will be the right distance where the 3rd sphere won't experience no net electrical force? That is the answer well ( 0.67m ) & yeah, because honestly we never learned this stuff in terms of coulombs law but I know that its the same as Newtons Law also I just got to substitute some variables & such. An explanation would be great, thanks ( I got a quiz tomorrow so)

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want the net force to equal zero. The net force = ?

By the way, it looks like you assumed F31 = 1 when you were solving for d.

elegysix said:
So you want the net force to equal zero. The net force = ?

By the way, it looks like you assumed F31 = 1 when you were solving for d.
yeah, damn. Well I looked through my notes & I did it all wrong, I have to I guess make it into a complex trinomial & complete the square?(This is in terms Newtons law, so I don't know how to transition that into coulombs law

Quantum Fizzics said:
F31 = kq3q1/d^2
= 9x10^9*3.0x10^-6*1.6x10^-5/d^2

9x10^9*3.0x10^-6*1.6x10^-5 = d^2
As elegysix points out, to get that you seem to have assumed F31=1. You might have realized this made no sense if you had paid attention to the units or their dimensions. In the second equation above, the right hand side has dimension length squared, while the LHS has dimension time-squared * length / mass. It might also have occurred to you that you have not used any information regarding q2.

You are right that the charge of q3 is irrelevant. All you are looking for is where the fields due to q1 and q2 cancel. Write an equation for that.

haruspex said:
As elegysix points out, to get that you seem to have assumed F31=1. You might have realized this made no sense if you had paid attention to the units or their dimensions. In the second equation above, the right hand side has dimension length squared, while the LHS has dimension time-squared * length / mass. It might also have occurred to you that you have not used any information regarding q2.

You are right that the charge of q3 is irrelevant. All you are looking for is where the fields due to q1 and q2 cancel. Write an equation for that.

alright I got it now, is it okay to leave it as a decimal instead of keeping it into an exponent? or will that mess up everything

Quantum Fizzics said:
is it okay to leave it as a decimal instead of keeping it into an exponent? or will that mess up everything
Since the answer looks likely to of the order of a metre, I would give the answer as a decimal.

1. How do you calculate initial charge?

To calculate initial charge, you need to know the capacity of the battery, expressed in ampere-hours (Ah), and the desired state of charge (SOC) of the battery. You can then use the formula: Initial charge = Battery capacity x Desired SOC

2. What is the significance of calculating initial charge?

Calculating initial charge is important because it helps determine the amount of charge needed to fully charge a battery to a desired level. This is useful in determining how long it will take to charge a battery and can also help prevent overcharging, which can lead to battery damage.

3. How does battery type affect the calculation of initial charge?

The type of battery can affect the calculation of initial charge because different battery chemistries have different charging characteristics. For example, lead-acid batteries require a different initial charge compared to lithium-ion batteries.

4. Can you calculate initial charge without knowing the battery capacity?

No, it is not possible to calculate initial charge without knowing the battery capacity. The capacity of the battery is a crucial factor in determining the amount of charge needed to reach a desired SOC.

5. What are the potential errors in calculating initial charge?

Potential errors in calculating initial charge can include inaccurate battery capacity measurements, variations in battery characteristics, and discrepancies in the desired SOC. It is important to regularly calibrate equipment and use accurate measurements to minimize these errors.