Calculating Initial Concentrations

• Thread starter PrincessJee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Initial
In summary, the student is asking for help calculating the initial concentrations of solutions used in a rate law lab. They provide the amounts and concentrations of the solutions used, and are confused about how to calculate the initial concentrations. The correct equation to use is MiVi = MfVf. By using this equation, the student can calculate the initial concentrations for each solution. The approach they initially tried was incorrect, as diluting a solution will never increase the concentration.
PrincessJee

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the initial concentrations in a rate law lab

If I have the following
0.020M Br2 solution, and am using 5.0mL of it
4.0M acetone, and am using 5.0ml of it
1.0M HCl and am using 5.0ml of it
H2O 10.0ml

how do I calculate the initial concentrations of solutions used in each run (this example is the first run only).
After mixing all the reagents the total volume is 25.0mL, and the concentrations need to be calculate according to this volume?

Homework Equations

n=m/M
M=mol/L

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what I am guessing... but not sure if it is correct...
If I have 0.020M Br2
then that means I have 0.020mol of Br2
which means if I use 5 ml of it, my concentration will be (0.020mol/0.005L) = 4.0M

is this correct? I am very confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have to remember is:
MiVi = MfVf

For example, if you use have 5.0mL (Vi) of 0.020M Br2 (Mi) and dilute it to a final volume of 25mL (Vf), then you would setup the equations as follows:

(5.0mL)(0.020M) = (25mL)Mf

You can then solve for the final concentration (Mf) and see that it is 0.0040M.

The approach you tried is wrong because 0.020M means that you have 0.020 mol of Br2 in 1L. In 5mL, you would have only (0.020 mol/L) * (0.0050 L) = 0.00010 mol. This amount in 25mL gives a concentration of (0.00010 mol)/(0.025 L) = 0.0040 mol/L = 0.0040 M.

You could have immediately figured out that your initial guess (4.0M) was wrong because diluting a solution will never make the concentration increase!

I can provide guidance on how to calculate the initial concentrations in your rate law lab. First, you will need to determine the moles of each substance used in the reaction. This can be done by using the formula n=m/M, where n is the number of moles, m is the mass in grams, and M is the molar mass of the substance.

In your first run, you are using 5mL of a 0.020M Br2 solution, which means you have (0.020 mol/L x 0.005 L) = 0.0001 mol of Br2. Similarly, you are using 5mL of a 4.0M acetone solution, which means you have (4.0 mol/L x 0.005 L) = 0.02 mol of acetone. For the 1.0M HCl solution, you have (1.0 mol/L x 0.005 L) = 0.005 mol of HCl.

Next, you will need to calculate the total volume of the mixture after all the reagents are mixed. In this case, it is 25.0mL. Now you can use the formula M=n/V to calculate the initial concentration of each substance. For Br2, it will be (0.0001 mol/0.025 L) = 0.004M. For acetone, it will be (0.02 mol/0.025 L) = 0.8M. And for HCl, it will be (0.005 mol/0.025 L) = 0.2M.

It is important to note that the initial concentrations will be different for each run, as the volumes of the reagents used will vary. Therefore, you will need to repeat these calculations for each run in your experiment. I hope this helps clarify the process for you. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with your lab!

1. How do I calculate initial concentration?

To calculate initial concentration, you will need to know the final concentration, the final volume, and the amount of dilution. Use the formula Initial Concentration = Final Concentration x Final Volume / Initial Volume.

2. What is the formula for calculating initial concentration?

The formula for calculating initial concentration is Initial Concentration = Final Concentration x Final Volume / Initial Volume.

3. What is the difference between initial concentration and final concentration?

Initial concentration refers to the concentration of a solution before any dilution or reaction has taken place. Final concentration is the concentration of a solution after dilution or reaction has occurred.

4. Can I calculate initial concentration if I only know the final concentration and final volume?

No, you will also need to know the initial volume or the amount of dilution in order to calculate initial concentration.

5. How do I convert between molarity and molality when calculating initial concentration?

To convert between molarity and molality, use the formula Molarity = Molality x Density. Make sure to use the correct units for density (g/mL for molarity and kg/L for molality).