Concentration of hydroxide ions

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the hydroxide ion concentration in an aqueous H2CO3 solution at 25°C. The attempted solution involved calculating the pH and POH, but the results did not match the expected answer. The question is to find the OH- concentration given the concentration of hydroxide ion.
harambe

Homework Statement

The hydroxide ion concentration in an aques H2CO3 solution is 4X10^{-4}M at 25°C OH- ion concentration in the solution is

Homework Equations

Ph=log(H+ or OH-) [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the PH of H+ in the solution which came to be 4.3979.Considering this to be water solution , I get POH to be 10.602..This doesn't match answer. Where did I go wrong[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
harambe said:
which came to be 4.3979

Check your math.

Note: you are showing way too many figures in your results. 4.4 would do here (and would be exactly as wrong as what you wrote).

Don't forget to tell us what the question is. Given the concentration of hydroxide ion calculate the OH- concentration is the easiest question I've seen here yet.

Likes Chestermiller
epenguin said:
Don't forget to tell us what the question is. Given the concentration of hydroxide ion calculate the OH- concentration is the easiest question I've seen here yet.
Who is the George Washington bridge named after?

Likes epenguin
Chestermiller said:
Who is the George Washington bridge named after?

GW?

1. What is the definition of concentration of hydroxide ions?

The concentration of hydroxide ions, also known as the hydroxide ion concentration or [OH-], is a measure of the amount of hydroxide ions present in a solution. It is typically expressed in moles per liter (mol/L) or molarity.

2. How is the concentration of hydroxide ions calculated?

The concentration of hydroxide ions can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of hydroxide ions by the volume of the solution in liters. This can be determined through various methods, such as titration or using a pH meter.

3. What is the relationship between concentration of hydroxide ions and pH?

The concentration of hydroxide ions and pH have an inverse relationship. As the concentration of hydroxide ions increases, the pH of the solution decreases. This is because hydroxide ions are basic and can neutralize acidic hydrogen ions, resulting in a higher pH.

4. How does temperature affect the concentration of hydroxide ions?

Temperature can affect the concentration of hydroxide ions in a solution. Generally, as temperature increases, the solubility of ionic compounds increases, resulting in a higher concentration of hydroxide ions. However, this relationship is not always linear and can vary depending on the specific compound and solution conditions.

5. Why is the concentration of hydroxide ions important?

The concentration of hydroxide ions is important because it can affect the properties and behavior of a solution. For example, a higher concentration of hydroxide ions can make a solution more basic, which can impact the reactivity and stability of certain substances. It is also a key factor in determining the pH of a solution, which is important in many chemical and biological processes.