What is the potential function for a line integral with a vector field?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating a line integral using a specific formula and substitution method. The resulting expression is difficult to integrate, but it is found that there is nothing wrong with the process. A potential function is mentioned as a possible alternative method for finding the solution.
tomelwood

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the following line integral

[tex]\int_{\gamma}y^{2}cos(xy^{2})dx + 2xycos(xy^{2})dy[/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the path defined by the equations [tex]x(t) = t^{4}[/tex] and [tex] y(t)=sin^{3}(\frac{t\pi}{2})[/tex] t between 0 and 1

Homework Equations

Now I know that the formula for calculating this is the integral over where gamma is defined (ie 0 to 1) of [tex]F(\gamma(t))\bullet\gamma'(t)dt[/tex] where [tex]\bullet [/tex] is the scalar product.

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore wherever I see an x in the original integral, I can substitute it for [tex]t^{4}[/tex] and similarly for the y subbing with the sin expression. And then instead of dx I put x'(t) and instead of dy I put y'(t) and integrate everything between 0 and 1.

The problem is is that this yields the following horrendous expression, which I don't know how to integrate.
[tex]\int^{1}_{0}(sin^{6}(\frac{t\pi}{2})cos(t^{4}sin^{6}(\frac{t\pi}{2}))4t^{3}+2t^{4}sin^{3}(\frac{t\pi}{2})cos(t^{4}sin^{6}(\frac{t\pi}{2}))\frac{3\pi}{2}sin^{2}(\frac{t\pi}{2})cos(\frac{t\pi}{2})) dt[/tex]

Where have I gone wrong?
Hopefully the Latex works!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write it out carefully:

[tex]
dx=x'(t)dt=3t^{3}dt,\quad dy=y'(t)dt=\frac{3\pi}{2}\sin^{2}\left(\frac{t\pi}{2}\right)\cos\left(\frac{t\pi}{2}\right) dt
[/tex]

Also:

[tex]
y^{2}=\sin^{6}\left(\frac{t\pi}{2}\right) ,\quad 2xy=2t^{4}\sin^{3}\left(\frac{t\pi}{2}\right)
[/tex]

You have done nothing wrong! The indefinite integral of your monster expression is
[tex]\sin\left(t^4 \sin^6\left(\frac{t \pi}{2}\right)\right)[/tex], although I don't know any easy way to get to this. However, the proof that it is an indefinite integral is easy, but I'm sure you know this :)
BTW: In LaTeX, you write \sin instead of sin, and using \left( and \right) makes your parentesis the right height.

@hunt_mat: x'(t) = 4 t^3

Last edited:
grey_earl said:

@hunt_mat: x'(t) = 4 t^3

Well spotted! My bad.

This problem illustrates how nice it can be to notice that the vector field in this problem is a vector field. If you notice that the potential function is [tex] f(x,y) = \sin(xy^2) + c [/tex]
then it is easy to find an answer. The answer found this way would agree with @grey_earl's indefinite integral.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total change or accumulation of a scalar or vector field along a given path or curve. It involves integrating a function over a certain interval or path.

2. How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by breaking down the given curve or path into small segments and approximating the integral over each segment. The sum of these approximations gives an estimation of the total change or accumulation along the entire path. As the size of the segments decreases, the approximation becomes more accurate.

3. What are the different types of line integrals?

The two main types of line integrals are the line integral of a scalar field and the line integral of a vector field. The former involves integrating a scalar function over a curve, while the latter involves integrating a vector field over a curve.

4. When are line integrals used?

Line integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to calculate quantities such as work, fluid flow, and electric potential along a specific path or curve. They are also used in applications such as path planning and optimization.

5. What are some applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have various applications in physics, including calculating the work done by a force along a curved path, the mass flow rate of a fluid along a curve, and the electric potential along a path due to a given charge distribution. They are also used in computer graphics for curve rendering and in machine learning for optimization problems.