Calculating Mass of a Block in SHM with Given Parameters

In summary: The equation I was thinking of in post number #2 was ##y=0.15sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t)##. From this you can calculate the velocity at time t.The mass of the block in SHM is:v = 0So, the mass of the block is 0.
SpyIsCake

Homework Statement

A block attached to a horizontal spring of force constant 75 N/m undergoes SHM with an amplitude of 0.15 m. If the speed of the mass is 1.7 m/s when the displacement is 0.12 m from the equilibrium position, what is the mass of the block?
k = 75 N
v = 1.7m/s @ 0.12m displacement

Homework Equations

T = 2π√(m/k)
T = d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a really hard time figuring this out.
This question would be much easier if I could find the velocity when it is at its highest amplitude, because then I would have to multiply the time by two to get the full cycle.

But it does not give me that. I have no clue how to find the period in order to complete my equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for the displacement from the equilibrium position as a function of time in SHM?

Chestermiller said:
What is the equation for the displacement from the equilibrium position as a function of time in SHM?
I don't know. I wrote down the equation for SHM that gives period.

SpyIsCake said:
I don't know. I wrote down the equation for SHM that gives period.
That equation is not adequate to solve this problem. Please go back and review your notes on simple harmonic motion.

Chet

What is the energy stored in the spring at a displacement of 0.15m? What is the value at 0.12m?

mfb said:
What is the energy stored in the spring at a displacement of 0.15m? What is the value at 0.12m?
The energy stored in a spring at 0.15m is:

1/2 (75N/m)(0.12^2) = 0.54 J of energy. Now, I can substitute the equation and solve for m like this:

1/2(75N/m)(0.12^2) = 1/2(M)(1.7^2)

I get a mass of 0.6 kg.

Answer is 0.21 kg

SpyIsCake said:

1/2 (75N/m)(0.12^2) = 0.54 J of energy. Now, I can substitute the equation and solve for m like this:

1/2(75N/m)(0.12^2) = 1/2(M)(1.7^2)

I get a mass of 0.6 kg.

Answer is 0.21 kg
Whoops, I actually got a mass of 0.37kg.

Still not the answer, though.

SpyIsCake said:

1/2 (75N/m)(0.12^2) = 0.54 J of energy.
Huh?
You should get two different energy values for both displacements. Just this difference is available as kinetic energy, not the full energy stored in the spring.

mfb said:
Huh?
You should get two different energy values for both displacements. Just this difference is available as kinetic energy, not the full energy stored in the spring.
That was a typo.

I meant to calculate the energy value for when the spring is at 0.12m. The reason is because I have the speed on that value. I don't have speed at 0.15m.

SpyIsCake said:
I don't have speed at 0.15m.
It is the maximal distance the object can get away from the origin. What do you expect as velocity there?

mfb said:
It is the maximal distance the object can get away from the origin. What do you expect as velocity there?
That's what I'm confused about. If I have that velocity, I should be able to get the mass.

But I don't know that velocity, nor do I know how to calculate it.

Does it move to the left or to the right at that point?
Trick question...

mfb said:
Does it move to the left or to the right at that point?
Trick question...
I'll just go ahead and assume that this SHM is a mass on a spring hanging from the ceiling. On the highest amplitude, it's not really moving too much.

The equation I was thinking of in post number #2 was ##y=0.15sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t)##. From this you can calculate the velocity at time t.

Chet

SpyIsCake said:
I'll just go ahead and assume that this SHM is a mass on a spring hanging from the ceiling. On the highest amplitude, it's not really moving too much.
It is a horizontal spring and horizontal motion. Anyway, the mass is just turning around, so it has a velocity of zero there.

1. How do you find the mass of a block?

To find the mass of a block, you can use a balance scale or a digital scale. Place the block on the scale and record the measurement. This measurement will be the mass of the block in either grams or kilograms.

2. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which the object moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant amplitude and frequency.

3. Why is finding the mass of a block important in SHM?

The mass of a block is important in SHM because it affects the period and frequency of the motion. The larger the mass, the longer the period and lower the frequency, and vice versa.

4. What is the equation for calculating the period of SHM?

The equation for calculating the period of SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

5. Can the mass of a block affect the amplitude of SHM?

No, the mass of a block does not affect the amplitude of SHM. The amplitude is determined by the initial conditions of the system, such as the initial displacement and velocity.